These forums are archived

See this post for further info

get_iplayer forums

Forum archived. Posting disabled.

How do I select programme version for The Code of the Woosters (b007ww6f)?

user-586

I can play via the web (Firefox on Win10) the
The Code of the Woosters - The Plot Thickens
 https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b007ww5n
which first delivers me to Sounds:
  https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/b007ww6f

But when I use the PVR to record either of those URLs I immediately get:
Code:
INFO: No versions of this programme were selected (available versions: shortened)

Recording complete
and no download is to be found.

I've removed the line
Code:
radiomode worse
from my options file and tried again  - but still no download.

Admittedly I am still running v3.05 (on Win10).
I'll be sharp to upgrade if the latest version doesn't have this problem.

user-586

Okay I just upgraded to the latest version and the error message is now more verbose

Code:
Episodes:
The Code of the Woosters - The Plot Thickens, BBC Radio 4 Extra, b007ww6f
INFO: 1 total programmes

INFO: No versions of this programme were selected (available versions: shortened)
WARNING: PVR Run: 'ONCE_b007ww6f': 1 download failure(s)
but still present.

user-30

The output is telling you what is wrong, as you alluded to:

It's telling you the available version is of type 'shortened', and you haven't selected to download a version of that type.

The Recording Options section of the Options page in the wiki explains how to select different versions (it's the last entry in that section of the table).

user-586

Thanks!

Makes sense - just it as very rare event I hadn't researched the remedy.
Which for me was to edit the options file and temporarily add the line
Code:
versionlist shortened

Happy now!

user-586

On a related note:

It seems that there may have been some change of policy at BBC Radio
with the advent of Sounds.

Today's In Our Time is available only as a podcast rather than the plethora of "versions" before.
Up'til now I have shunned podcasts because they have been in mono for the lower bit rate versions that I like to download.
Now I'll have to configure my options to accept them:
Code:
radiomode worse
versions original,shortened,podcast

user-2

(07-11-2018, 02:09 PM)Makes sense - just it as very rare event I hadn't researched the remedy.
Which for me was to edit the options file and temporarily add the line
Code:
versionlist shortened
For everyone else: Use command line options or Web PVR settings for temporary overrides. It is never necessary to directly edit your options file.
(08-11-2018, 01:53 PM)It seems that there may have been some change of policy at BBC Radio
with the advent of Sounds.

Today's In Our Time is available only as a podcast rather than the plethora of "versions" before.
You can't extrapolate from a single data point. This morning's "From Our Own Correspondent" is just the opposite: the podcast version is currently missing. Reserve judgement at least until the shortened version of "In Our Time" has been broadcast tonight. They may simply be tardy in production.  
(08-11-2018, 01:53 PM)Up'til now I have shunned podcasts because they have been in mono for the lower bit rate versions that I like to download.
Don't confuse the audio format in the "podcast" version downloaded by get_iplayer and the audio in the MP3 file offered in the podcast feed. They are not the same.
(08-11-2018, 01:53 PM)Now I'll have to configure my options to accept them:
Code:
radiomode worse
versions original,shortened,podcast
For everyone else: Don't set versionlist in preferences as above. It is redundant and a potential source of errors, especially if you also download TV programmes. There may be a few cases where you prefer the podcast version of a particular radio programme, but use presets or ad hoc options for those. By default, you don't need any special configuration if the podcast is the only version available, as in this isolated case. If it should happen that you get an errant podcast version you don't want, just force a re-download if/when the original version becomes available.

user-586

Thanks user-2

lots of things I didn't know clarified by your post.

These forums are archived

See this post for further info