These forums are archived

See this post for further info

get_iplayer forums

Forum archived. Posting disabled.

How do I stop get_iplayer indexing programmes?

user-2269

I don't think I need get_iplayer to maintain an index since I only ever download by PID. How can I disable this?

user-2

get_iplayer does not index programmes when downloading with --pid. If you see something different, follow our instructions to provide a proper report so we can see what is happening on your system.

user-30

It does index upon launch though, if the cache interval has been exceeded. Could be a minor irritant if you are intending to only use pids and don't want to wait for it to refresh.

Perhaps changing the cache expiry interval would suffice?

Something like this would set the cache expiry to 6 months so presumably would prevent refreshing on launch:

get_iplayer --prefs-add --expiry=16070400

user-2

(10-10-2018, 03:23 PM)It does index upon launch though, if the cache interval has been exceeded. Could be a minor irritant if you are intending to only use pids and don't want to wait for it to refresh.
Not exactly. The provided start menu shortcut contains a dummy search in order to trigger a cache update. If you don't like that, run get_iplayer from a normal command prompt.
(10-10-2018, 03:23 PM)Perhaps changing the cache expiry interval would suffice?

Something like this would set the cache expiry to 6 months so presumably would prevent refreshing on launch:

get_iplayer --prefs-add --expiry=16070400
Unnecessary if you only ever use --pid. Even so, --expiry can prevent updates but you have to create an initial cache before it is applied, i.e., don't just delete your cache files.

user-2269

Thank you I removed the dummy search from the start menu shortcut. I didn't realise it didn't really do anything and get_iplayer was in my path. I like having a get_iplayer window with it's icon though so I will keep using the start menu shortcut.

These forums are archived

See this post for further info