These forums are archived

See this post for further info

get_iplayer forums

Forum archived. Posting disabled.

passwords!

user-958

I always have problems logging in here, and I don't come that often!
Currently, I have no problem logging in with the password I changed a few weeks ago, my Edge Browser remembers it, ...but it won't share that information with me! Grrr!
This means that since I am not privy to the actual digits required to log in manually on another device, I would have to request yet another password change in order to do so; which would of course lock me out of my account on my Windows 10 machine and so the merry-go-round continues!
I cannot even change the damned thing via my User CP, since you need to know the dratted password before you will be allowed to change it!

I have used the contact us facility at the bottom of the page, but as soon as I pressed send, I'm told that I cannot use this facility as I have reached my quota of 1 message for the day!!
does that mean that the missive I drafted was not sent, ...or is this message telling me I can't send any more?
If so, that is superfluous information, since I have not attempted to send another message!!!
Oyveh!

user-250

Looks like a simple windows password reset.

Try this method. I've used it numerous times.

https://4sysops.com/archives/reset-a-win...-password/

Alternatively

use an Ubuntu live USB
https://www.iseepassword.com/reset-windo...-free.html

user-2

If you lose or forget your password to these forums, that's what the password reset service is for. If you don't know how to view, remove or update a password saved with Edge, that's what Google is for.

user-958

(09-10-2018, 09:11 PM)Looks like a simple windows password reset.

No, you haven't understood the problem.
I don't have any problem accessing my various PC's tablets etc. just the password for this site!

user-958

(09-10-2018, 10:45 PM)If you lose or forget your password to these forums, that's what the password reset service is for. If you don't know how to view, remove or update a password saved with Edge, that's what Google is for.
… That would be every time then!
scenario is as follows:-
attempt to sign in to this site when both the browser and I appear to have entered an incorrect password.

As I recall, I have in the past requested a password re-set via the proffered link.
That invokes a series of emails:
1) "password reset at get_iplayer forums", giving an activation code.
2) "New password at get_iplayer forums", giving a 20 digit "password".
3) "Change of Password at get_iplayer forums" alerting me to the fact that a password reset has occurred.

This done, I once more have access to the site, however at no point am I told the rules for construction of an acceptable password.
As I remember, the site and I then play "hunt the thimble" to find an acceptable construct for the required password with various obstructions placed along the way to hinder and delay the process, i.e. the addition of a "capcha" (I am not a Robot) part way through the process which invalidates at least one attempt, and eventually you are awarded a "Time-out" penalty.
Ultimately, the game descends into total guesswork, inserting several passwords you might have previously used, here or elsewhere, all to no avail.
Still, … not to worry, Edge Browser has your back, ...it knows the magic password, … but all it shows is a row of blessed dots, … not unlike those in this message!

I've even reasoned that possibly, just possibly, Edge has fixated on the twenty digit password from the second email, that faint hope is immediately squished by signing out and back in again and replacing the auto filled password with said offering from email No2, … not accepted, ...and Edge pops up it's unhelpful head and says "d'you want me to remember this password?" Grr.
So, if I'm on my phone or my iPad and wish to visit the site, I have to request yet another password reset. :(
I only have this problem on this site. … just sayin'

user-30

Some of what you have written doesn't actually happen and it appears you've become confused between registering, resetting your password and logging in.

To simplify, items one and two in the list of emails you said you received actually do occur. You reset your password using the first email received which contains a link to directly reset the password, or a second link within the same email where if the first link doesn't work, you can manually enter the activation code included in order to trigger the reset.

Email two is then received - containing your new password.

That's it.

The email containing your new password is, somewhat prosaically, the one that provides your new password. It would be fun if it was actually a cunningly crafted puzzle from which you have to deduce the password from a series of clues, each more fiendish than the last! Alas, nothing so exciting. Sad face emoji.

So taking the password from the email, you may use it to login - in combination with your username of course.

You are providing your username and not email when you attempt to login? It does say 'username' just above the box but some people do spice things up by ignoring this and using the email address over and over and over again.

Likewise, you talk about captcha's. That only appears when registering which you really don't need to do again, seeing as you have an account and have just reset the password for it.

So, my advice would be:

1) Reset your password

2) Make a note of the password you received (honestly, it's the one in the second email with the subject title: 'New password at get_iplayer forums', I promise)

3) Login to the site using your USERNAME and the provided password

Optionally, you can undertake step 4...

4) Change you password in User CP (link in top left when logged in). Provide the password from the email received at step 2 above, and then provide a new one of your own choosing. Passwords must be a minimum of 20 characters. No other requirements, simply 20 characters or more of your choosing.

user-2271

If you forgot the password and need to view the passwords saved in Edge browser, you can go to the control panel and reveal the passwords in credential manager, or using third party software.
https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/manag...ge-browser
https://www.top-password.com/blog/view-o...indows-10/

In this way, you may do need to keep changing your password when you've forgotten it.

user-958

(11-10-2018, 01:48 AM)If you forgot the password and need to view the passwords saved in Edge browser, you can go to the control panel and reveal the passwords in credential manager.

Wow! kamelne, thanks for that gem!
I had no idea I could "twist Edge's arm" into giving up the passwords!
Worked like a charm, thank you.

These forums are archived

See this post for further info