These forums are archived

See this post for further info

get_iplayer forums

Forum archived. Posting disabled.

Can AD versions actually be non-AD?

user-991

I've not been on here for quite a while, probably because there's been no problems I suppose lol
Anyway, I think I've just learnt something. I've read a post titled TWO PINTS & the person asking about the programme only available as audiodescribed. One of the replies was obviously from the Main Man himself, DINKY, which I've posted below.

'15-06-2018, 03:34 PM
This is a case where the programme data used by get_iplayer doesn't match the iPlayer site. It can happen when old programmes are resurrected. Just download the "audiodescribed" version as indicated. I'm fairly sure it won't actually have audio description on it.'

Now my question or query is, can anybody confirm that this is the case that although a programme may say audiodescribed version only that in fact when downloaded it turns out to be normal?

I ask this question because over time, I've missed a programme when it was originally aired & then when it is shown again it is audiodescribed only or signed only or both. So I've not downloaded it & this has happened many tens or hundreds of times. I have access to unlimited downloads but it the speed of them (10Mbps to 25Mbps generally) that makes my selective in my downloads. Within the next 6mths things could change now that we've got Virgin Media installed in the street with 350Mbps top speed available. Then I can download an AD version hoping it is not & not worry about the time taken.
In the meantime, if there is a good chance a programme that says AD only but ends up not then I will start downloading them.

user-2

Quote:Now my question or query is, can anybody confirm that this is the case that although a programme may say audiodescribed version only that in fact when downloaded it turns out to be normal?
No. You can't extrapolate from an isolated glitch with an old programme resurrected as a box set. Rebroadcast of programmes as AD/SL-only is very common, and the data used by get_iplayer is usually correct. When in doubt, check the iPlayer site.

These forums are archived

See this post for further info