These forums are archived

See this post for further info

get_iplayer forums

Forum archived. Posting disabled.

email output of cronjobs

user-552

hi

i have had get-iplayer setup as cronjob on my home server for a while it runs late at night once a day
ubuntu server 14.04

i recently setup emailing of cronjob results and system errors following this guide http://www.howtogeek.com/51819/how-to-se...ing-gmail/ following some issues i had with hdd failier

however the output from get-iplayer is insanly long and unreadable with all the lines of progress bars etc

is there a way to make the stout less verbous

user-2

If you redirect stderr to /dev/null you'll avoid all the output from external applications and receive just the output from get_iplayer itself, which is much more succinct. The caveat is that you may miss some useful diagnostic info (e.g., error messages from rtmpdump) in the event of error. You may want to redirect stderr to files instead, and perhaps employ logrotate to clean up the log file directory periodically.

user-552

im i right in thinking i append >> ~/.get-iplayer/logs/iplayer.stderr to the crontab entry

so it would read

5 2 * * * get_iplayer --pvr>> ~/.get-iplayer/logs/iplayer.stderr

or is there an option i can set in --prefs

user-2

It's just normal stream redirection - there is no get_iplayer option. However, in the above you are appending stdout to the file, not stderr.

user-552

my knowledge tends to be finding how-tos and guides done a bit more digging missed the 2 didn't I

so it will be
5 2 * * * get_iplayer –pvr 2>> ~/.get-iplayer/logs/iplayer.stderr

These forums are archived

See this post for further info