These forums are archived

See this post for further info

get_iplayer forums

Forum archived. Posting disabled.

Radio programme tagging fails with: Command exit code 255 (raw code = 65280)

user-2181

I know this is an old thread, but I'm also getting the problem of duplicate files for radio downloads :

for each download there is one file with an m4a extension but zero bytes in length,  then another with "temp" and a number at the end of the filename, which is complete.

For example :

Im_Sorry_Ill_Read_That_Again_Series_7_-_4._Episode_4_b010mztj_original.m4a
Im_Sorry_Ill_Read_That_Again_Series_7_-_4._Episode_4_b010mztj_original-temp-8807.m4a

This has been happening for roughly 2 weeks now.

I have been downloading from the command prompt window using "get_iplayer --type=radio --pid" and the numbers

Each download states
INFO: Command exit code 255 (raw code = 65280)
WARNING: Failed to tag M4A file

Can anyone please advise? Thank you.

user-2181

Just to add : the file with "temp" in the filename is correctly tagged

I'm using version 3.14.0 for Windows

user-2

AtomicParsley is unable to replace the original file with the tagged ("temp") version. First, the obvious question: What did you do to your system 2 weeks ago? Follow our instructions to provide a proper report so we can see what is happening on your system.

user-2181

Thank you for taking the time to look at my problem.

Ok, get_iplayer version as follows :

get_iplayer 3.14.0, Copyright (C) 2008-2010 Phil Lewis
 This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details use --warranty.
 This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it under certain
 conditions; use --conditions for details.

INFO: encodinglocale = cp1252
INFO: encodinglocalefs = cp1252
INFO: encodingconsoleout = cp850
INFO: encodingconsolein = cp850
INFO: ${^UNICODE} = 0
INFO: Profile dir: C:\Users\Matthew\.get_iplayer
INFO: User options file: C:\Users\Matthew\.get_iplayer\options
INFO: System options file: C:\ProgramData\get_iplayer\options
-==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==-
Current options:
       encodingconsolein = cp850
       encodingconsoleout = cp850
       encodinglocale = cp1252
       encodinglocalefs = cp1252
       output = F:\Downloaded Radio
       radiomode = better
       tvmode = good
       verbose = 1

Windows Version 10.0.17134 Build 17134

The output is saved onto an external drive, but I have always used this drive and never previously had a problem.

The only thing I can think that might have changed 2 weeks ago would be a Windows update, or possibly an antivirus update?

So next I tried to create a verbose log as requested, however on that occasion the download worked perfectly, which is the first time for (approx) 2 weeks! Typical...

All files downloaded, correctly tagged, and no "temp" or duplicate files.

I tried again with three different programmes picked at random - again, everything worked perfectly.

Sigh.

I've attached the log for the sake of completeness but there's really no point as everything worked correctly while the log was being generated. So maybe the problem has just fixed itself? No idea.

I feel extremely foolish now, but all I can say is that something was broken which now appears to be fixed.

user-2

It would be a strange AV that allowed you to create a file only to prevent you from renaming it. Drive (or something associated) seems the more likely culprit. Either way, there is nothing get_iplayer can do to help. If it happens again, just rename the temp file.

These forums are archived

See this post for further info