These forums are archived

See this post for further info

get_iplayer forums

Forum archived. Posting disabled.

Videos play too fast without audio on PS3

user-1522

HI have been downloading Top of the Pops for a while using Get_Iplayer (I'm on Windows8). The captures all play fine on my PC after downloading. But I have found that the recent catpures will not play properly on my PS3, they play at what looks like double speed without any audio. I have checked my older captures, and they all still play fine. I have tried streaming from the PC to the PS3, copying over the network, and copying to a USB stick, same results everytime. I have also tried two PS3's.

Looking at the captures, and on Iplayer, it seems that the BBC are not putting them on iplayer in upscaled HD anymore. I was using the extension --better, but while trying to figure out what was wrong, tested a HD capture with --best, only t find out that I still got a SD capture, so I'm assuming there's no HD of this on iplayler. I tried aother random programme on Iplayer, and that came out fine.
I can't see how something has gone wrong with my Get Iplayer app suddenly, so have the BBC started doing something different with their uploads? Doing this is the only way to get this old show to play in a watchable manner on my old retro tv.
I did try a TOTP I downloaded, on the hdtv, via a usb stick and it played fine there. I considered if it was a ps3 update or something causing the problems, but if tha was the case it doesn't account for why the older videos play fine, or the other recent capture.
looking at the properties for each video on the ps3, it looks like it can't find any audio tracks for the problem videos.
Crossing this with the audio properties on the files on the PC, the ones that work are listed as 125kb, wheras the problem ones are listed as lower at 94kb . I expect this is the problem, and for some reason the PS3 doesn't like 94kb. So, is this the BBC, or something wth get_iplayer? And if so, is there a way to get Get_Iplayer to change the audio to 125kb during capture so it will play on the ps3?

Thanks for any help :)

user-2

This is a very old issue unrelated to get_iplayer or iPlayer:

https://forums.squarepenguin.co.uk/thread-19.html

Don't follow that thread's obsolete advice to revert to an ancient version of ffmpeg. That will unnecessarily restrict get_iplayer. You will need to find a non-ffmpeg tool (e.g., mp4box) to re-mux get_iplayer downloads into new MP4 files. Don't waste time transcoding files unless it proves to be necessary. As far as anyone could tell at the time, PS3's handling of the MP4 container generated by ffmpeg is the problem, not the audio/video data.

These forums are archived

See this post for further info