These forums are archived

See this post for further info

get_iplayer forums

Forum archived. Posting disabled.

rtmpdump hanging

user-325

From time to time I've had rtmpdump hang while retreiving a program. It will sit there eating CPU forever until I kill it. As get_iplayer --pvr is still running, it won't run again until I've cleaned everything up, which is a problem for long-term unattended use.

I've been thinking of writing a script to detect & automatically clean up this situation, but thought I'd check here 1st & see if anyone else has seen this issue & perhaps knows of a solution.

user-2

This is a known issue with rtmpdump on all platforms. You can try using
Code:
ulimit
to keep rtmpdump from eating resources when it goes haywire. There is a brief mention of it in this thread:

http://www.mail-archive.com/get_iplayer%...05240.html

If you write a cleanup script of some kind, note that
Code:
get_iplayer --pvr
creates a lock file at
Code:
$HOME/.get_iplayer/pvr_lock
that contains the process ID of the running get_iplayer. You'll want to kill that process before killing rtmpdump in order to avoid any retries. You should also make sure the lock file is deleted after the processes are killed.

Another issue to consider is that killing rtmpdump may leave a partially-downloaded FLV file, which may block any subsequent download attempt for that programme. You'll probably need to scan your output directory for those files (they'll have .partial. in the file name) and delete them. It's very unlikely a subsequent download attempt would be able to resume the download in this case.

These forums are archived

See this post for further info