These forums are archived

See this post for further info

get_iplayer forums

Forum archived. Posting disabled.

BBC World Service dafmed1/96k downloads not accepted by iTunes

user-693

Hi, I'm addicted to consuming BBC Radio 4 and Radio 4 Extra programmes obtained with the PVR and passed via iTunes into my iPhone. This works brilliantly and I've been using this for nearly a decade.
I'm using the get_iplayer defaults, so I get M4A files (I migrated from the smaller mp3 files a while back when I had a tidy and discovered that get_iplayer defaults to this, thus I get a faster download than if I get get_iplayer to convert to mp3 after). The downloaded files (dafhigh1) M4A from Radio 4 and 4 Extra drop into iTunes and just work. Nice metadata, all lyrics etc (subject to the Beeb not falling down!).
I've recently started to look at material on BBC World Service (w-prefix files). This downloads as dafmed1 and gets converted to M4A at a low bit rate (95k). It appears that iTunes simply ignores this format, so files dropped into iTunes just don't show up. I can solve this by passing the files through a converter to mp3 128k but metadata is usually compromised.
I fully understand that this is simply and iTunes fault but I'd like to get around it without manual conversion. Is there any way of increasing the bit rate of the BBC World Service downloads either during download or by some conditional action after? Note that I'm very happy with the high bit rate downloads from R4 and Extra.
Many thanks
Brian.

user-2

(10-02-2018, 11:55 AM)This downloads as dafmed1 and gets converted to M4A at a low bit rate (95k). It appears that iTunes simply ignores this format, so files dropped into iTunes just don't show up.
It's an iTunes limitation.  Use --radiomode=haf for World Service programmes
(10-02-2018, 11:55 AM)Is there any way of increasing the bit rate of the BBC World Service downloads either during download
Higher bit rates not available for World Service programmes

user-693

Worked perfectly, thanks. I see that it keeps the high resolution of R4 etc downloads whilst coping with low res World Service ones so my normal ‘good’ files are not affected. Many thanks.

user-2

This limitation no longer applies with get_iplayer v3.14+

These forums are archived

See this post for further info