These forums are archived

See this post for further info

get_iplayer forums

Forum archived. Posting disabled.

Diffficulty recording live TV

user-527

I have been using Get_iplayer since September last and much appreciated the product. I have no problems saving past programmes and I am now getting used to setting my own preferences.

My problem relates to recording live TV

My problem is that, while I can start a recording and save the .flv for a time but it stops after a short time. For example I have just started a recording with:-

get_iplayer>get_iplayer --G --type=livetv "BBC One"

It stopped after a split second and converted to MP4 with multiple messages like:-

[mp4 @ 026dcc20] st:0 PTS: 1280 DTS: -640 < -639 invalid, clipping

Any help thoughts welcome.

What I would like to be able to do ideally is to watch a programme on media player classic while recording.

Many thanks.

user-2

Since you say it dies quickly, add
Code:
--verbose
to your command and post the log from that attempt. There may additional information on the problem, but also there may not. If it appears to be hung or begins churning out repetitive error messages from rtmpdump, use Task Manager to kill the perl.exe and rtmpdump.exe processes, in that order. Also try using the
Code:
--modes
option to specify lower-quality streams to see if they work any better.

Live streaming doesn't work very well in general. This is where I advise you to watch live in your browser or on your telly and download later. If you are trying to capture World Cup matches or other live sport that isn't made available for catch-up viewing, start where I suggested above. Just be prepared for the fact that it might never work reliably.

user-2

I should also add that you can't stream to a media player and to a file at the same time, which defeats what you're trying to do.

user-527

Quote:<div class="d4p-bbp-quote-title">Quote:</div>I should also add that you can’t stream to a media player and to a file at the same time, which defeats what you’re trying to do.

Ah, that is my problem.

I CAN view the FLV in a media player while downloading catchup progs simply by opening the .flv file in media player Classic. Naive of me perhaps, but I assumed I could do the same thing with live TV

Is there any workrownd that makes this possible?

user-2

You can do the same thing with live TV, though I have no idea if it works with MPC. Of course, that is moot if the stream never starts downloading. Sometimes if you wait several minutes it will kick in, but from your original report it sounds like it never gets that far. Just to see if it works, try testing MPC with BBC Parliament, where you may be more likely to get a stream started.

user-527

Quote:<div class="d4p-bbp-quote-title">Quote:</div>You can do the same thing with live TV, though I have no idea if it works with MPC. Of course, that is moot if the stream never starts downloading. Sometimes if you wait several minutes it will kick in, but from your original report it sounds like it never gets that far. Just to see if it works, try testing MPC with BBC Parliament, where you may be more likely to get a stream started.

Based on one attempt, if I let it record for several minutes before trying to play the file, it works.

These forums are archived

See this post for further info