These forums are archived

See this post for further info

get_iplayer forums

Forum archived. Posting disabled.

How do I exclude poorly-performing streams (modes)?

user-2025

I have noticed recently repeated retries when downloading items with hvfhd video quality.  The last day I have noticed that I get poor download quality from hvfhd1 (small amounts downloaded, repeated retries, long response time), but once get_iplayer switches to hvfhd2 the performance improves dramatically (fast download - 5x or more better than hvfhd1, minimal retries).  Does anyone know the differences between hvfhd1 and hvfhd2 and other versions?  Are they (BBC) using different servers for each of these types?  

It appears I can select the version 2 using the tvmode option ( --tvmode=hvfhd2 ) and get very fast download with similar file sizes as other episodes downloaded without the option.  Is there a way to eliminate tvmodes?  I would like to eliminate hvfhd1 and see if that improves my download success and speeds.  Thanks!

user-2

user-2025

Thanks! The more I see of the complexity the more I am impressed by your coding.

Would it be possible to add a feature to help identify problematic suppliers by adding the supplier to the "INFO: Downloaded" output?

such as:

INFO: Downloaded: 1231.34 MiB (00:31:21) @ 10.11 Mibits/s (hvfhd2=limelight) [audio+video]

Thanks again for a great tool!

user-2

Use --verbose when downloading to identify the problematic CDN. Once you exclude it you won't see it again.

These forums are archived

See this post for further info