These forums are archived

See this post for further info

get_iplayer forums

Forum archived. Posting disabled.

Can get_iplayer download Blue Planet II in UHD? (Answer: No)

user-1841

Hi,

apologies if this has already been asked.

Does get_iplayer allow download of Ultra HD content?

I am aware that the BBC have released Blue Planet II in UHD to Sky Q Boxes and Smart TVs.

Thanks

user-2

No, unfortunately.

user-1841

is this likely to be something that will be added?

user-2

Not likely, from me at least. I don't have a suitable TV to work with, and UHD is only enabled in the TV app afaik. If you can sniff your network traffic, you can probably grab the MPEG-DASH manifest URLs (or HLS playlist equivalents) accessed by your TV and use them with youtube-dl. That is strictly off-topic here, so if you have questions about that approach, take them to a forum where youtube-dl is discussed. There may be other downloaders that can do the job as well.

user-2028

I've got a Roku Streaming Stick+ - which seems to be the only external player solution enabled for the Beta Blue Planet II HLG UHD trial.

I sniffed the network traffic (Netgear router with port mirroring upstream of my Wireless access point as the Roku is wifi only) whilst playing a UHD Blue Planet II stream and have the http URLs used for the .mpd manifest, the IS.mp4 and the audio and video .m4s chunks.

Whilst I can manually download the .m4s audio and video chunks and the .mp4 (header?) using youtube_dl, I can't seem to automate the process. (Doing a quick manual download of 20 video .m4s files and the IS.mp4 header and cat-ing them together creates a playable mp4 with HEVC 2160/25p video in it)

Would having example .mpd (MPEG DASH manifests) help add this functionality to get_iplayer or is this simply not a development priority at the moment?

user-2

Thanks for the offer, but I have been able to look at DASH manifests for those programmes that were provided by someone else. The manifests could be accommodated by get_iplayer with some changes, but that isn't the main issue. get_iplayer would need to be able to discover the manifest URLs from the programme PID. As you surmise, it's not a priority - not that I could do anything about it, anyway.

user-2028

(22-12-2017, 05:09 PM)Thanks for the offer, but I have been able to look at DASH manifests for those programmes that were provided by someone else. The manifests could be accommodated by get_iplayer with some changes, but that isn't the main issue. get_iplayer would need to be able to discover the manifest URLs from the programme PID. As you surmise, it's not a priority - not that I could do anything about it, anyway.

Thanks. Totally understand.

I've worked out a way to download the audio and video .mp4 and .m4s chunks in a semi-automated fashion from sniffed URLs, using a text file of URLs, wget and cat to create an audio and video mp4 and then merge them with mkvtoolnix. Seems to play OK in Kodi on 10-bit HEVC friendly device (and with my TV in manual HLG mode)

Is there any way of determining the total number of .m4s chunks in an mpeg-dash stream, or do you just keep going until you error? (I've been sniffing the beginning and end of shows to find the highest number .m4s)

user-1936

is it possible for you to share your semi automated way, or send me a pm with details?

user-2

Not here. If you have some information germane to get_iplayer, start a new thread. This one is closed.

These forums are archived

See this post for further info