These forums are archived

See this post for further info

get_iplayer forums

Forum archived. Posting disabled.

Subtitles download failed for 3.06.0

user-1981

On one Win10 3.06.0 installation subtitles download fine. On another, separate Win10 computer also 3.06.0, subtitles download fails. I've attached log files for a particular BBC program but the problem is general. In the attached files "Acer" is on one machine. It fails. "Bruce" is on the other. It works. I've tried uninstalling and re-installing. Figured I got rid of all config files before re-installing. Please help.

Tried including get_iplayer output but was blocked from sending by the spam filter.

Acer.txt

user-1981

And here's the other output file [for an operation which didn't fail]

Bruce.txt

user-2

Thanks for the logs. The "Bruce" log only shows that the subtitles were already downloaded at some time in the past, so isn't quite direct evidence that it is working, though it must have worked at one point. You don't say whether these download attempts are on the same network at the same time, but that may not be relevant. That fact that it works on one machine and not another tells me that nothing is wrong with get_iplayer itself, and I can't replicate your results. Failures on "Acer" could be for any number of reasons, sometimes transient. Unfortunately, get_iplayer doesn't provide that level of detail. You don't say if you can download programmes from "Acer", so there is no way to know if the problem is more global. You also don't say if you can load the subtitles in your browser or download by some other means on Acer. You also don't give any notion of the scope of the failures. If you really, truly can't download any subtitles, for any programme, ever, and yet you can download programmes themselves, then there is something strange going on with that machine. Antivirus would be the first place to look, but there is no way to know if that is the case for you.

user-1981

Thanks for the prompt response. Out of town just now but when back will try the antivirus idea. One curiosity: after I uninstalled, deleted all files and directories with "iplayer" in their name, and re-installed, the pvr still knew about channels I wanted to skip. I even searched the registry for entries including "get_iplayer" and found nothing. Are there configuration variables in other spots? Would the sequence of prior installs matter? The "Bruce" machine used to run 3.02.

On your other points, while not simultaneous, operations on the two machines on the same network were within a few minutes. The program files themselves downloaded fine. The subtitles did load previously on the "Bruce" machine. And yes, the problem on one machine is systemic while the other machine just works.

user-2

(06-11-2017, 12:56 AM)I even searched the registry for entries including "get_iplayer" and found nothing.
get_iplayer doesn't use the registry except to register an uninstaller
(06-11-2017, 12:56 AM)Are there configuration variables in other spots?
See Advanced Topics in FAQ list
(06-11-2017, 12:56 AM)Would the sequence of prior installs matter?
No
(06-11-2017, 12:56 AM)And yes, the problem on one machine is systemic while the other machine just works.
If by that you mean the programmes always download and the accompanying subtitles never download, then there is nothing get_iplayer can do about that. If an antivirus is at fault, I have no idea why it would block subtitle XML files, but not other XML content fetched during download. Maybe the .xml extension is a trigger.

These forums are archived

See this post for further info