Cannot download schedule pages to update cache on Debian Wheezy
#1
In my case it fails to download the schedule, e.g.

Code:
DEBUG: Downloading schedule page (1): http://www.bbc.co.uk/s4c/programmes/schedules/this_week

DEBUG: Retrying download of schedule page: http://www.bbc.co.uk/s4c/programmes/schedules/2017/w41
.
DEBUG: Downloading schedule page (2): http://www.bbc.co.uk/s4c/programmes/schedules/2017/w41

DEBUG: Retrying download of schedule page: http://www.bbc.co.uk/s4c/programmes/schedules/2017/w42
.
DEBUG: Downloading schedule page (2): http://www.bbc.co.uk/s4c/programmes/schedules/2017/w42

WARNING: Failed to download schedule page: http://www.bbc.co.uk/s4c/programmes/schedules/2017/w40

WARNING: Failed to download schedule page: http://www.bbc.co.uk/s4c/programmes/schedules/2017/w39

DEBUG: Retrying download of schedule page: http://www.bbc.co.uk/s4c/programmes/schedules/2017/w42
.
DEBUG: Downloading schedule page (3): http://www.bbc.co.uk/s4c/programmes/schedules/2017/w42

DEBUG: Retrying download of schedule page: http://www.bbc.co.uk/s4c/programmes/schedules/this_week
.
DEBUG: Downloading schedule page (2): http://www.bbc.co.uk/s4c/programmes/schedules/this_week

DEBUG: Retrying download of schedule page: http://www.bbc.co.uk/s4c/programmes/schedules/2017/w41
.
DEBUG: Downloading schedule page (3): http://www.bbc.co.uk/s4c/programmes/schedules/2017/w41

WARNING: Failed to download schedule page: http://www.bbc.co.uk/s4c/programmes/schedules/2017/w42

DEBUG: Retrying download of schedule page: http://www.bbc.co.uk/s4c/programmes/schedules/this_week
.
DEBUG: Downloading schedule page (3): http://www.bbc.co.uk/s4c/programmes/schedules/this_week

WARNING: Failed to download schedule page: http://www.bbc.co.uk/s4c/programmes/schedules/2017/w41

WARNING: Failed to download schedule page: http://www.bbc.co.uk/s4c/programmes/schedules/this_week

I can download the same url with wget or open it in a browser just fine

Code:
$wget http://www.bbc.co.uk/s4c/programmes/schedules/this_week
--2017-10-25 23:45:00--  http://www.bbc.co.uk/s4c/programmes/schedules/this_week
Resolving www.bbc.co.uk (www.bbc.co.uk)... 212.58.246.55, 212.58.244.27
Connecting to www.bbc.co.uk (www.bbc.co.uk)|212.58.246.55|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 301 Moved Permanently
Location: https://www.bbc.co.uk/schedules/p020dmkf/this_week [following]
--2017-10-25 23:45:00--  https://www.bbc.co.uk/schedules/p020dmkf/this_week
Connecting to www.bbc.co.uk (www.bbc.co.uk)|212.58.246.55|:443... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 302 Found
Location: /schedules/p020dmkf/2017/w43 [following]
--2017-10-25 23:45:06--  https://www.bbc.co.uk/schedules/p020dmkf/2017/w43
Reusing existing connection to www.bbc.co.uk:443.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 878731 (858K) [text/html]
Saving to: `this_week'

100%[================================================================================================================================================================================>] 878,731      974K/s   in 0.9s    

2017-10-25 23:45:11 (974 KB/s) - `this_week' saved [878731/878731]
#2
It would have been nice if you had mentioned your OS. To recapitulate from another thread: BBC schedule pages are now being redirected to HTTPS URLs. Systems with obsolete Perl modules, like Wheezy, could have problems with that. In particular, it looks like some versions of IO::Socket::SSL cause problems for Mojolicious. Set up a local library for Perl modules (described in the get_iplayer install docs) and install the latest versions of both to override obsolete system packages.

For others: This a completely different problem with completely different symptoms than the issue which necessitated the release of v3.06, reported here:

https://squarepenguin.co.uk/forums/thread-1546.html
#3
Thank you. Even though I saw that it was a different issue than the other thread, I mistakenly thought it was related so I didn't think the OS was relevant (it turns out it was).
For the time being I'll use it without mojolicious, the box is slow enough that it doesn't really matter.
#4
(26-10-2017, 10:20 AM)dinky Wrote: It would have been nice if you had mentioned your OS. To recapitulate from another thread: BBC schedule pages are now being redirected to HTTPS URLs. Systems with obsolete Perl modules, like Wheezy, could have problems with that. In particular, it looks like obsolete versions of IO::Socket::SSL cause problems for Mojolicious. Set up a local library for Perl modules (described in the get_iplayer install docs) and install the latest versions of both to override obsolete system packages.

For others: This a completely different problem with completely different symptoms than the issue which necessitated the release of v3.06, reported here:

https://squarepenguin.co.uk/forums/thread-1546.html

I got the same issue and I have updated IO::Socket::SSL to the latest. Now it works fine! Thanks you!


Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  V3.06 on PCLinuxOS: Failed to download schedule page MartinGoose 5 3,941 08-11-2017, 04:51 PM
Last Post: MartinGoose
  Cache not updating from custom web UI on Debian asprinwizard 12 7,307 03-11-2017, 04:17 PM
Last Post: asprinwizard
  Cache not updating on Debian jlc 11 8,570 31-10-2017, 02:56 PM
Last Post: jlc
  Mojolicious dependencies not installed with cpan utility on Debian wheezy xiatian 4 4,668 02-10-2017, 05:11 PM
Last Post: xiatian