These forums are archived

See this post for further info

get_iplayer forums

Forum archived. Posting disabled.

Punctuation characters are removed from file names

user-1496

I'm on gip v3.03 on a Windows 7 PC and for as long as I've been using gip I notice that it ignores punctuation marks in programme names, such as commas and apostrophes.

So, for example, "I'm Sorry, I'll Read That Again" is downloaded as "Im_Sorry_Ill_Read_That_Again". I'm not sure whether it's something with my setup or a BBC issue or one of gip itself but it's been a constant problem for as long as I can remember with this utility.

Replacing underscores with spaces in a bulk renaming program isn't a problem but missing commas and apostrophes are a pain, especially if you download a lot of radio.

Seeing a new version has just been released has prompted me to raise this.

user-2

Use Mp3tag (or similar) to rename files however you like using their metadata.

EDIT: And of course, you can rename output files with --command, though that is somewhat limited compared to Mp3tag.

user-1496

OK thanks. Is there a similar program for mp4 files?

user-2

Don't be fooled by the name. get_iplayer doesn't produce MP3 files, so I wouldn't suggest Mp3tag if it didn't work with MP4.

user-1496

Great thanks. I used to use the program years back but only on mp3 files.

user-1699

I know it was not your main request but the --whitespace option in get_iplayer prevents the conversion of space to underscore.

user-1923

I'm running get_iplayer 3.04-windows.0 from a Windows 7 command prompt.

I'm having the same problem as HarryVaderci.

When running gip 3.02 any punctuation characters in --subdir-format and --file-prefix arguments were honoured. They're not in gip 3.04.

I set up some presets to handle punctuation after the removal of the --punctuation option such as the following for episodes of I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue:

get_iplayer Output:

C:\>get_iplayer -z isihac --prefs-show
INFO: Using user options preset 'isihac'
Options in 'path\to\.get_iplayer\presets\isihac'
       fileprefix = <00episodenum>. Episode< 00episodenum>_<pid>_<version>
       subdirformat = I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue\Series< 00seriesnum>
       type = radio

These presets are of no use in gip 3.04.

To get the folder and file names I want when downloading a tv programme where both the series title and episode title contain punctuation characters, I now have to:
  • rename the directory (or move the recorded files to the correct directory, if it was already re-named when downloading the previous episode, then delete the incorrectly named directory),
  • rename the .mp4, .jpg, .srt, .ttxt and .xml files (created with the --thumb, --subtitles, --subsraw and --metadata options) and
  • manually edit the metadata .xml to rename the invalid paths it would contain.
This is a pain.

Please, please, please, pretty please could the --keep-all option be re-instated?

These forums are archived

See this post for further info