These forums are archived

See this post for further info

get_iplayer forums

Forum archived. Posting disabled.

Installing on Winows OS Phone?

user-512

Hi There

Firstly thanks for putting up this site and providing so much help.

I love get_iplayer and have been using it on my Windows 7 PC and Windows 8 laptop for quite some time now using the command line options.
I'm currently considering buying either a Windows OS tablet or a Windows phone so I can use it easily abroad (using a VPN) to get programmes from the BBBC. I know that the tablet should be ok but how about running get_iplayer on a Windows phone? Do you know if this is possible or not?

George

user-2

Windows Phone is a no-go. Phones run on ARM chips and all the various bits of get_iplayer for Windows are x86-based. Phones are locked down, so you wouldn't be able to install without some chicanery anyway. The same considerations apply to Windows tablets. By "Windows OS tablet" I presume you mean an Intel tablet running Windows 8.1. ARM-based tablets and Windows RT wouldn't do the job.

user-512

Thanks for the rapid response. I'd guessed it might be like this which is a shame as far as the phone option is concerned.

I was looking at tablets running the full Windows 8 OS, not the RT version, which are available (Asus and Lenovo do these) and I gather they're capable of running legacy x86 programs so it looks like that's the direction to go. Just as a matter of interest I gather that Intel are now developing smartphone chips but I guess that wouldn't make any difference.

Keep up the good work - its a great resource.

George

These forums are archived

See this post for further info