These forums are archived

See this post for further info

get_iplayer forums

Forum archived. Posting disabled.

Slow down and file name change.

user-511

I have been using get_iplayer on a daily basis since July 2013. My preference is for speech programs from R4 and R4 extra. This has worked really well until yesterday and today when the download speed was a 20th of the normal speed. (Web access was normal for browsing and other downloads.) Also the previous default file of .m4a was not used, instead it is now .wma

Have I inadvertently changed something? Or perhaps the fact I am still using Windows XP has caught up with me?

I have tried on both Chrome and Firefox with the same result on both.

I would welcome suggestions as to what is happening.

Tony

user-30

Your issue seems related to this thread:

/topic...ma-format/

There do seem to be a larger than usual number of problems with radio downloads at the moment so have a read through and see if this is what you are experiencing.

Time and perseverance might be the best remedies for the moment though.

user-511

Thanks, comfortable to know I was not alone……
Two full days of getting .wma files in ‘real time’ however back ‘as normal’ this morning.

I would like get_iplayer to download the files that arrived as .wma’s again but this time as .m4a. If I attempt this I get the message ‘recording complete’ even though the already recorded file has been removed from the default download area.

I assume get_iplayer keeps a log of what it has downloaded. Is it possible to get at and edit this file so that selected downloads can be done again? (I am well within the 7 days allowed for downloads.)

Tony

user-30

This one is easy to fix. Just append the command
Code:
--force
to whatever command you use to download the shows.

You can stick it anywhere, front middle or end, as long as it go in somewhere it will tell get_iplayer to ignore the download history and allow you to re-download a show that you already have.

I usually stick
Code:
--force
at the end of whatever command I'm using at that particular time if I ever have an error and need to grab something twice.

user-2

I would also suggest that you remove wma from the
Code:
modes
option in your preferences. It was removed from the default setting in v2.84, but presumably you still have it explicitly configured in your preferences from an earlier installation. You can always specify wma for one-off use, but as you've seen, it's not really suitable for normal downloading. See "Recording Modes" doc in wiki for instructions.

user-511

Thanks for the prompt suggestions.
“This one is easy to fix. Just append the command --force to whatever command you use to download the shows.”

I have been using the Windows front end so I have been clicking choices rather than being in a position to ‘append commands’, which I assume are done via the command prompt.

I was about to start getting to grips with working this way when I noticed that information was being stored in:-
C:\Documents and Settings\user\.get_iplayer\download_history
This turned out to be a text file and when opened with Wordpad I was able to remove the line that listed the file I wanted downloaded again. This worked for me…..

Now getting to grips with ‘removing wma from the modes option’.

Thanks again
Tony

These forums are archived

See this post for further info