These forums are archived

See this post for further info

get_iplayer forums

Forum archived. Posting disabled.

Output command

user-496

Hi, having trouble getting syntax right for --output. I have moved my folder for downloaded programs.

My new folder is: E:\DAD\IPLAYER

I have tried various permutations but I only get a program listing.

I thought get_iplayer --output "E:\DAD-IPLAYER\" would work but no luck with this or other variants. Any help greatly appreciated.

user-2

You only get a programme listing because you haven't instructed get_iplayer to download anything. The
Code:
--output
option only tells get_iplayer where to download files, but you need to tell it what to download. See:

https://squarepenguin.co.uk/wiki/documentation/

Also, there is no need for quotes around the output directory path unless it contains spaces. I also assume the hyphen in your example is a typo.

user-2

user-496

Thanks for the quick response. Looks like my double hypen combined at submit. I see what you are saying.

Are you saying that I have to download a program AND use the output command to change the current download folder permanently?

user-30

Honestly, read the documentation.

This isn't a fob off, it's something you actually need to do to understand the basics of get_iplayer.

Then, you can decide what preferences you want to save. Perhaps you want to make sure TV programmes will download to a specific folder, you can use the
Code:
--prefs-add --outputtv
command found here.

Perhaps you want all programmes to go there, then you can use the
Code:
--prefs-add --output
, in any case you should read the guides, FAQ and stick your nose in the wiki section.

NOTE 1 - use the 'code' button to stop double dashes being turned to em-dashes. Select the text and hit the 'code' button just above the reply box.

NOTE 2 - user-2 is referring to the hyphen in the MIDDLE or your folder path. You wrote: “E:\DAD-IPLAYER\”

These forums are archived

See this post for further info