These forums are archived

See this post for further info

get_iplayer forums

Forum archived. Posting disabled.

mkdir errors

user-1780

I had get_iplayer working perfectly until I changed the download dir permanently. I am getting the following error:

ERROR: Could not create dir '/media/Radio Shows 1/2 - Radio Shows': mkdir /media: Permission denied at /usr/local/bin/get_iplayer line 3369.
RichardleysiMac:~ pixelart$  

Is there anyway I can completely uninstall everything and start over again. I have searched but can't find any info on uninstalling get_iplayer from my Mac

Thanks,
Richard

user-2

Do the words '/media: Permission denied' not suggest a initial avenue of inquiry to you?

user-1780

(05-05-2017, 10:54 AM)Do the words '/media: Permission denied' not suggest a initial avenue of inquiry to you?

Sorry they don't I'm completely new to get_iplayer and the Mac Terminal after using Get iPlayer Automator for the past two years which was much easier to use but has now ceased to function. I did try setting a new permanent dir on my mac with permissions set but that doesn't work either. That is why I asked if it is possible to completely uninstall get_iplayer and all associated files so that I could do a fresh install.

user-2

Re-installing get_iplayer will have no effect, so don't waste any effort on that.

user-1780

(05-05-2017, 11:12 AM)Re-installing get_iplayer will have no effect, so don't waste any effort on that.
So is there anyway to set the path back to default?

user-2

Delete it from your preferences

user-1780

(05-05-2017, 11:19 AM)Delete it from your preferences
Sorry I'm completely new to all this - which preferences and where is it?

user-1780

Sorry I'm completely new to all this - which preferences and where is it?
[/quote]
Don't bother figured it out.

user-1786

I get this exact same error. How do I get permission?

Thanks

user-2

It may not be exactly the same. What is the path you are trying to use for your output directory?

user-1786

(05-05-2017, 04:46 PM)It may not be exactly the same. What is the path you are trying to use for your output directory?

I tried to use the path where TV shows are downloaded so they can appear in iTunes. This is where they went in the get iPlayer Automator app. So:
/Macintosh HD/My Book/iTunesEXT/iTunes Media/TV Shows/

Thanks

user-2

That looks a bit strange, so perhaps start with the basics. Can you navigate to that folder at a command prompt?

user-1786

From the Terminal, I get "/Macintosh: no such file or directory. When I try the next level down (My book), I get /My: no such file or directory. Same for /mybook (I thought perhaps space wasn't permitted).

It might be relevant that this was the path I found when I used finder. I did read your guidance on using the absolute path and went to the link on how to find, but did not see instructions on how to do so in Sierra OS. Googled that as well, but could not find solution. I stopped there, as I was not even sure if I should be using that path.

user-30

Navigate to the directory above the target directory using Finder.

Click and drag the target directory to an open Terminal window.

Marvel as the folders path should appear before your eyes.

And please, if you have spaces in the path, use double quotes to surround it before using it in a get_iplayer command.

user-1786

Sorry. I did that, used double quotes, and I still get no such file or directory. There's a weird couple of forwards slashes in the path, but maybe that doesn't matter.

Oh, is there a command I should use to find the path? I just put it in with the quotes after the prompt.

user-30

Go and read the guide please.

All of it.

Big link up top.

Then read this if the problem persists:

thread-706.html

Include all the required information in "The essential stuff" if you post again.

user-1786

My apologies. Thanks for your help.

These forums are archived

See this post for further info