These forums are archived

See this post for further info

get_iplayer forums

Forum archived. Posting disabled.

Enhancement Requests

user-1623

Hi
Firstly, congratulations on your great application. I love it. 

I have a couple of enhancement requests :-
1) I think it would be nice to have the option of storing 30 days in the cache. This is because you only need to take a 2 week holiday abroad (as most people do)  and you will lose at least one weeks cache. 

2) Would you please consider an Android version of your great app. 

Thanks

user-30

Regarding:

1) I believe only 7 days past data is available from iPlayer itself, so get_iplayer can't store 30 days magically, it has to refresh from the BBC each week in order to build up a 30 day cache. So it's already storing a 30 day cache, there's just a limitation placed on how it gets this 30 days (i.e. in 7 days chunks) because of the way the info is provided by the BBC.

2) That would be a MASSIVE amount of work and for what gain? What significant advantages do you see get_iplayer on Android having over the official iPlayer app?

I see the advantages on desktop are clear (BBC doesn't make an app available on Linux for example) but I don't see really any clear advantages on Android or iOS for that matter.

user-2

There won't ever be an app version of get_iplayer, Android or otherwise. Besides being a colossal duplication of effort and an inferior user experience, such an app would never ever be accepted for distribution.

user-1623

Thank you for your replies.

The two requests were linked. In case the 30 day cache wasn't possible, an Android version would have been a good workaround for me as I take an Android phone and tablet with me on holidays.

Still, if it can't be done then thanks.

I suppose an alternative suggestion could be if some of the more enthusiastic users made their 30-day caches available for download at intervals. I'd be happy to participate in this if it ever got off the ground.

user-2

It is possible to index 30 days of programmes at once. It can be error-prone, so I leave it as an exercise for the diligent reader of documentation. Besides, you don't need to have a programme in your cache to download it.

(continued at /thread-1273.html)

These forums are archived

See this post for further info