These forums are archived

See this post for further info

get_iplayer forums

Forum archived. Posting disabled.

Default version of programme not found. How to download alternate version?

user-1612

Hello,

I have been using get-iPlayer in Windows 10 for a while now and all has been going well.

Today, I am simply trying to download another file and have hit the wall. I ask for help and hope that someone can provide help AND explain why I am having a problem.

Simply put, I am using the get_iPlayer GUI to download this file: 

The Bridge: Fifty Years Across the Forth - (b04g80p8)

The only version available is 'default' and this is exactly what I want.

Each time I attempt to download, I get the following outcome:

--

Recording The Following Programmes

The Bridge: Fifty Years Across the Forth - (b04g80p8)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04g80p8 - - (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04g80p8 )

INFO Trying to download PID using type tv
INFO: pid found in cache
Matches:
6285:    The Bridge: Fifty Years Across the Forth - -, BBC Four, b04g80p8

INFO: 1 Matching Programmes
INFO: No versions of this programme were selected (available versions: audiodescribed,signed,signed2)

INFO: Episode-only pid detected
INFO: Trying pid: b04g80p8 using type: radio
INFO Trying to download PID using type tv
INFO: pid found in cache
Matches:
6285:    The Bridge: Fifty Years Across the Forth - -, BBC Four, b04g80p8

INFO: 1 Matching Programmes
INFO: No versions of this programme were selected (available versions: audiodescribed,signed,signed2)
INFO: Episode-only pid detected

Recording complete

get_iplayer Web PVR Manager 2.99-windows.0, ©2009-2010 Phil Lewis - Licensed under GPLv3

--

Now, I am definitely NOT the most IT-attuned bloke, but neither am I a novice. I cannot see what more I can do to instruct get_iPlayer to fetch the file I am looking for.

I will be grateful for any help forum members can offer me.

With my advance thanks,

johndoc37

user-30

You said this:

Quote:The only version available is 'default' and this is exactly what I want.

...but your output disagrees with you:

get_iplayer Output:

So you'd need to use one of those available versions to download as they're the ones available.

user-1612

Hello SquarePenguin,

Thanks for replying to me.

I searched once again for The Bridge: Fifty Years Across the Forth - (b04g80p8) and again saw 'default' under the column 'Versions'.

This time however, I clicked on 'default' and was taken to a new web page showing so much more information including different versions audiodescribed,audiodescribed2,original,signed,signed2. So, I see what you mean about different choices, each with a different pid.

I returned to my original search result and was this time able to simply select and download the 'original' on b04g80p8. So, it appears to me that the default file was now suddenly available whereas before it was not. 

I took a look at the various help files but I dont think the command-line stuff applies to me since I am using the Windows GUI. It's beyond my understanding.

Thank you for your input.

johndoc37

user-2

Ignore the Versions column in search results. It is a useless vestigial appendage, and has been for a long time. It is no longer displayed by default, and you should deselect it in the Columns tab so it isn't visible. The only way to know what programme versions are available is to click on the episode or description to see the detailed info page. Never specify an explicit value in the "Programme Versions" field of the Recording tab unless you know what you are doing, or you specifically want audiodescribed or signed programmes. "default" is not a literal version specifier. It is basically a placeholder for whatever non-audiodescribed, non-signed version(s) may be available. It should never be explicitly specified on its own - it is unnecessary.

user-1612

Thank you for this, user-2.

johndoc37

These forums are archived

See this post for further info