These forums are archived

See this post for further info

get_iplayer forums

Forum archived. Posting disabled.

Error 256 :-(

user-459

Hi all,

I have been using get_iplayer version 2,82 for a long time now with no problems, then last week started getting RTMPDump error 256. Found this site and followed instructions, completely removed old version and re-installed 2.85. Tried again and got the same error - any ideas? Is there another swf getaround?

Out of interest, do Linux users get this error?

Regards

Dactyl

user-2

You need to provide more information than that. Try to download one programme - and one programme only - with the
Code:
--verbose
option added. Put the output in a file and post it as an attachment with your reply (make sure the file name has a .txt extension). DO NOT under any circumstances paste the output into your reply.

user-459

Its a big file as it insists on trying 50 times before crashing out :-)

I know not to paste it from other posts i read :-D

Cheers

Dactyl

user-459

I removed one of the repeating sections to get it under 512k, let me know if you need anything else.

Cheers
Dactyl

get_iplayer-log.txt

user-2

Quote:Quote:Its a big file as it insists on trying 50 times before crashing out :-)

Thanks. You use, e.g.,
Code:
--attempts=1
to cut down the number of retries. With your particular problem, it will likely go up to the limit unless
Code:
--attempts
is used. In most cases it dies long before that.

rtmpdump doesn't even run when get_iplayer tries to launch it to stream the programme. It's difficult to say if rtmpdump is the problem or whether something is broken on your system. First, in the get_iplayer console window run
Code:
echo %PATH%
and make sure your PATH contains
Code:
C:\windows\system32;C:\windows;
. If not, fix it. If PATH is OK, do a complete uninstall and reinstall of get_iplayer. Don't delete your settings, but uninstall all components and delete
Code:
C:\Program Files\get_iplayer
or
Code:
C:\Program Files\get_iplayer (x86)

If that doesn't bear fruit, make another verbose log with
Code:
--attempts=1
, then delete any partial download file. Look in the verbose output for the first line that begins:

Code:
INFO: Command: ".\RTMPDump\rtmpdump.exe" "--port" "1935" "--protocol" "0" "--playpath" ...

Copy everything in that line after "INFO: Command:", paste it at the command prompt in the get_iplayer window, then hit Return to run the rtmpdump command outside get_iplayer. You need to do this soon after you create the log file before the authentication tokens in the command expire. Hopefully there might be a system error message that will be more informative.

user-459

OK - Not sure what exactly went on here but it is now working.

Originally the problem occurred on version 2.82 which has been working fine for a long time (> 2 years). When problem occurred I did some research and then uninstalled and deleted directory, then installed 2.85.

After this I still had the problem and created my original post. This had happened on several programmes originally, but after re-install I only tried on the same one every time.

After reading the above post from user-2 I started working through the suggestions. Path was OK, so not that. When trying to get the RTMP command, as suggested, I deleted a partial download. My next attempt then worked ! Other programmes that had failed previously also work with no need to delete anything (there were no partial downloads either).

My best guess is that the upgrade to 2.85 resolved the issue, but the existence of a partial download was preventing my "test" programme from downloading. Odd though that it was failing with 256, which I was sure was a SWF problem.

Many thanks for all the help.

Regards
Dactyl

These forums are archived

See this post for further info