These forums are archived

See this post for further info

get_iplayer forums

Forum archived. Posting disabled.

Embedded Video Download

user-36

Long time user of Get_iplayer, but I'm having issues downloading embedded news clips.

I've done it in the past, but for the life of me, I can't remember how or has the beeb has changed something...

I'm on Win 7 and using version 2.83. Works fine for iplayer programmes, but won't play ball with embedded clips, I've tried a few with the following command (I use command line exclusively):

C:\Program Files (x86)\get_iplayer>get_iplayer http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-23434851 --tvmode=flashvhigh --nopurge
get_iplayer v2.83, Copyright (C) 2008-2010 Phil Lewis
This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details use --warranty.
This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it under certain
conditions; use --conditions for details.

INFO: Trying pid: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-23434851 using type: tv
INFO Trying to stream pid using type tv
INFO: pid not found in tv cache
WARNING: No programmes are available for this pid with version(s): default

Any help, would be gratefully received. Thank you.

Penny.

user-2

That page was in a new format that get_iplayer didn't understand. get_iplayer has been patched to grok the new format. To use a patched get_iplayer, see the Git HEAD section of the Installation Guides. Try the same clip and reply here if it doesn't work.

user-36

Hi there user-2, I'm afraid even after following the instructions in the Git Head section, it doesn't work. What am I doing wrong?

user-36

Apologies for double posting, I went and had a look at at the github and saw that you had created a get_iplayer for Detect playlist URL in JSON for embedded clips and tried using that to replace my current get_iplayer.pl. Still nothing :/

user-2

It looks like there is now a different problem with embedded clips, but that problem occurs only on Windows. No prospect of a fix on the horizon - it will take a while to get to the bottom of this. If you have access to a Mac or Linux machine, you can use the patched get_iplayer there to download your clip.

As a test, on your Windows machine please try to download this clip:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21776497

It has the old format, and I'd like to know if a page with the old format behaves differently for you.

user-36

Hi there,

Thanks for the help! I'm sorry but the link you posted doesn't work for me either.

Would I be able to use get_iplayer on linux I run from a flash drive? I have to keep windows on my laptop for work.

I shall be patient and hope that you can get to the bottom of it at some point.

Note: rtmpexplorer will download it, but it tells me it's crashed even though it's downloading it and it downloads only the lowest quality version. Boo.

user-2

At least we're getting the same results. rtmpexplorer uses a different method to find the stream, so not really equivalent in this situation. For some reason, get_iplayer on Windows isn't receiving the full contents of the page containing the clip, so parsing for resource URLs fails.

I think you should be able to run get_iplayer on a flash drive Linux. This problem only affects embedded clips, so wouldn't have to fire up Linux all the time.

user-36

Thanks for all your help. I'll give my linux install a trial. :)

user-2

This turns out to a problem with the bundled version of Perl rather than get_iplayer itself. It will be necessary to create a new installer to fully fix the problem. If embedded clips are important to you, as a temporary measure you can download and run the previous incarnation of the installer:

http://www.infradead.org/get_iplayer_win...up_4.5.exe

Click No when asked to download the newer installer and accept any upgrades indicated. You should see that the Perl support is actually being downgraded. The only features you will be missing are related to secure email functions, and it is unlikely that you use those.

After running the old installer, update get_iplayer.pl from Git as you did before.

user-36

Super! Thanks user-2!! Works like a dream now. :)

I did try it on linux last night and I could install get_iplayer and run it, but the download kept flaking out at 1.2%.

These forums are archived

See this post for further info