These forums are archived

See this post for further info

get_iplayer forums

Forum archived. Posting disabled.

Error message when converting video with tvmode=vgood

user-1539

Probably a minor point, and I may well have missed something obvious, but...

I'm running get_iplayer on Linux Mint 17.3, last night there was an upgrade to version 2.99

For many months I've been using --tvmode=vgood as a reasonable quality/file size compromise, but after the upgrade to 2.99 there would be a pause of a few seconds after a file was recorded, then a series of error messages in red text before the conversion started, for example:

get_iplayer Output:

INFO: Begin converting video file: ........../Sound_Waves_The_Symphony_of_Physics_Series_1_-_2._Using_Sound_b08h9ctd_original.hls.ts
[h264 @ 0xc6653e0] non-existing SPS 0 referenced in buffering period
[h264 @ 0xc6653e0] SPS unavailable in decode_picture_timing
[h264 @ 0xc6653e0] non-existing SPS 0 referenced in buffering period
[h264 @ 0xc6653e0] SPS unavailable in decode_picture_timing
frame= 5093 fps=0.0 q=-1.0 size=   37307kB time=00 .........

The conversion would then run OK, and the resulting file seems to play OK.  Tried a few times with this particular file, always got the same result (although only tried on two different files, so don't know how general this behaviour is)

I checked my version of ffmpeg (static build 7.2.8.11 from johnvansickle as per instructions), and re-installed it just to make sure, but still had the error messages.

I then tried using --tvmode=better (the next quality level up), and there were no error messages at all.  The file size wasn't much bigger, 694.4 MB vs 659.9 MB in this case, so I'll switch to this setting.  Haven't tried any of the other quality settings.

user-30

Information on this error is given in the FAQ:

https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplay...yer-output

user-1539

Thanks, had missed that section of the FAQ

These forums are archived

See this post for further info