These forums are archived

See this post for further info

get_iplayer forums

Forum archived. Posting disabled.

Problem with dashhigh in openSUSE Leap 42.2

user-1516

I was running GiP v2.97 on openSUSE Leap 42.1 with KDE desktop.  Radio downloads were fine using dashhigh mode.

When I upgraded Leap 42.1 to 42.2 the resulting .m4a files caused problems with some renderers and on examination  I found that AtomicParsley was reporting these radio files with the following comment:-

Code:
AtomicParsley version: 0.9.6 (utf8)
------------------------------------------------------
Movie duration: 823.275 seconds (13:43.28) - 320.00* kbp/sec bitrate (*=approximate)
Low-level details. Total tracks: 1
Trk  Type  Handler                    Kind  Lang  Bytes
1    soun  SoundHandler               mp4a  eng   32930987
    320.00 kbp/s  MPEG-4 Unknown profile: 0x0    channels: (2)

An examination with ffprobe gave me the following similar information:-

Code:
FFprobe:
...Duration: 00:27:50.40, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 321 kb/s
   Stream #0:0(eng): Audio: aac (mp4a / 0x6134706D), 48000 Hz, stereo, fltp, 320 kb/s (default)
   Metadata:
     handler_name    : SoundHandler
   Stream #0:1: Video: mjpeg, yuvj420p(pc, bt470bg/unknown/unknown), 150x84 [SAR 72:72 DAR 25:14], 90k tbr, 90k tbn, 90k tbc

However files which play OK and were downloaded when openSUSE 42.1 was operating system gave me the expected info.  ie:-

Code:
320.00 kbp/s  MPEG-4 AAC Low Complexity/LC Profile    channels: [2]

It seems like the upgrade has broken something.  To overcome the problem in the short term I have changed the radiomode to "hafhigh" and this works fine.  With the limited testing I have done so far it appears ffmpeg is OK but I am at the limit of my knowledge and am posting here so others can help me identify the source of the problem.

Budgie

user-2

You have this problem:

/thread-1095.html

The haf streams tend to be a lot slower, so my advice is to follow the Ubuntu instructions for installation of a newer ffmpeg (it will work for openSUSE as well):

https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplayer/wiki/unixpkg

When and if openSUSE updates its version of ffmpeg, you can back out those changes and go back to using the system-supplied ffmpeg.

user-1516

Hi user-2,
Very many thanks.  I had been pointed to the thread concerning ffmpeg and (wrongly) thought 3.2-6.5 had already fixed the problem.  Many thanks for the further help.  Have now installed latest version so we shall see how I get on tonight.

Now that all radio three programmes are no longer in higher bit rate than any others I am finding my storage is being filled up by large files which are of spoken word.  I want dashhigh for third programme music but even podcast standard would be fine for radio shows.  I therefore ask if it is possible to set radio modes along with the search when adding titles to pvr list. 

I have already asked on get_iplayer infradead list so please forgive me asking here but I would appreciate your advice. 
Many thanks once more.

user-2

It's the "3.2" that matters, not the "6.5", which is presumably the SUSE package subversion. Any ffmpeg newer (or older) than 3.2 should be OK. 

As for recording quality settings, just add the desired --radiomode option to command line when creating pvr job with --pvr-add.

user-1516

(28-01-2017, 06:37 PM)It's the "3.2" that matters, not the "6.5", which is presumably the SUSE package subversion. Any ffmpeg newer (or older) than 3.2 should be OK. 

As for recording quality settings, just add the desired --radiomode option to command line when creating pvr job with --pvr-add.

Hi and many thanks.  I have not been able to sort out the problem with the Packman version of ffmpeg so am using the one you recommended which works perfectly.

Code:
ffmpeg version 3.2.2-static http://johnvansickle.com/ffmpeg/  Copyright (c) 2000-2016 the FFmpeg developers
 built with gcc 5.4.1 (Debian 5.4.1-4) 20161202

As for my dumb question, yes I have re-read the guide, just in time to edit my pvr-list in the light of the new release.

Very many thanks for this and the great deal of work you put in on this.  It is truly appreciated.

user-2

get_iplayer 2.98 should work around that problem with ffmpeg 3.2, so it may be worth testing the Packman version again after updating get_iplayer.

These forums are archived

See this post for further info