These forums are archived

See this post for further info

get_iplayer forums

Forum archived. Posting disabled.

Which browser is best for using GIP?

user-991

My system is a 64bit Windows 8.1 running Internet Explorer v11.
I do have installed other browsers but I think by default GIP uses I.E. 11. I use the CLI & not the PVR to do downloads.
So my question is,
How do you change the browser that GIP uses to download?
And can anybody give me their opinion on which browser to use for better, quicker, more reliable internet connection to download a programme i.e. I.E. Firefox, Opera, Chrome etc.
Thanks in advance of any replies.

user-2

Neither CLI nor Web PVR uses your web browser to download programmes.

user-991

Oh, okay Dinky, thanks.

Could I possibly ask you something else Dinky as regards GIP & downloading.
When I am at the local library I can access their Wi-Fi with my Laptop but to do so I have a username & password to enter before I can access the Net using whichever browser. But when I start up GIP using the CLI it won't allow me to download any programme. Any ideas why that is?

user-30

That's something you'd have to take up with them because it wouldn't have anything to do with get_iplayer and there could be a million reasons. They might do something basic like block iPlayer entirely because it would require a TV license now or it could be anything really.

user-991

Thank You again for your time in answering Mr SquarePenguin.
My thoughts were in my last question about using GIP at the local library was that because I had to use a username & password to use their wi-fi was the reason was GIP wouldn't work or downloads couldn't be done. I think it was about a year ago when I had first tried it but I don't think I was signed up to here then & hence why I'm not asked this before.

user-1324

i know this post is over a month old, can i ask are you able to download anything when using your comp at the library

user-1026

(27-01-2017, 04:57 AM)And can anybody give me their opinion on which browser to use for better, quicker, more reliable internet connection to download a programme i.e. I.E. Firefox, Opera, Chrome etc.

If security of your browsing is important to you, then Firefox with some addons is the most secure.

user-991

(08-03-2017, 06:33 AM)i know this post is over a month old, can i ask are you able to download anything when using your comp at the library

Yes Richard. Once I've started up a browser & then I've typed in my user name & password I have downloaded Windows Updates & the occasional software downloads as well. But when I used the GiP CLI & try to download a programme it won't do it. I'll have to try again before the end of the week to report what the error or message says when I try that.

user-991

(08-03-2017, 05:07 PM)jaybeee Wrote: [ -> ]
(27-01-2017, 04:57 AM)And can anybody give me their opinion on which browser to use for better, quicker, more reliable internet connection to download a programme i.e. I.E. Firefox, Opera, Chrome etc.

If security of your browsing is important to you, then Firefox with some addons is the most secure.

Thanks for that bit of info jaybeee & I'll keep that in mind when I need to have the best security when browsing. But I got myself confused when I originally asked for advice on the best browser for speed & reliability in regards to using GiP, thinking that it used whichever default browser on your system to access the Net. I think I'm right in now thinking that the GiP software accesses the Net through a Port & funnily in the last few hours I came across by accident some articles on speeding up downloads etc by Port Forwarding. I've only read a bit & I need to read more & try to digest it to fully understand it & then I might be able to relate it to GiP & then how to implement it to maximise download & connection speeds.

user-2

Sorry folks, but I'm closing this thread. It has veered past off-topic and is getting dangerously close to misinformation.
  • As already established, if get_iplayer is blocked on a network (e.g., your library), that is an issue between you and that network. We can't help you.
  • Browser security add-ons are not a bad idea, but they have only limited application to the Web PVR. Except for thumbnail images, which come from the BBC, the Web PVR only accesses resources on your machine. get_iplayer itself handles all the other network access.
  • Port forwarding is irrelevant to get_iplayer and will not have any effect on your downloads. Unless whoever runs a network gives you access to their routers, you won't be able to forward any ports anyway.

These forums are archived

See this post for further info