These forums are archived

See this post for further info

get_iplayer forums

Forum archived. Posting disabled.

Reverted back to V 2.95 both on Linux and Windows

user-1202

Hi there
comparing V 2.95 with V 2.97 on both Centos 7  Linux and Windows 10 Pro - V 2.97 seems to take around 30 - 50% longer to download both TV and Radio rather than the previous version V 2.95.

Currently V 2.95 is still working for the things I generally want to download.

I've got decent Internet so it's not the ISP / Internet causing this -- and I've tested it on the SAME hardware.

Not sure what the problem is but with V2.95 I'm getting download speeds of often over 6Mb.s while on V 2.97 for the same file it goes back to around 1.9 - 2.4 Mb/s

Hopefully there's a fix for this

Also I see the generated file names have changed from ******.default.mp4  to *****.original.mp4 for TV and equivalent for Radio.  Not a problem though.

Cheers

user-2

Fix for what? You haven't demonstrated you're accessing exactly the same media streams in both versions (you very likely are not). It doesn't matter a bit that you tested on the same hardware. Your machine is unlikely to be the limiting factor. As I and many others can attest, get_iplayer will download much, much faster than 6 Mb/s. Don't assume your upstream conditions are the same everyone else's.

user-1202

Hi there

I think there's a confusion here between MegaBYTES / sec and MegaBiITS /sec - my figures should be multiplied by 8 for MegaBITS/sec.

I'm not sure what you mean by accessing the same streams

For TV I use command get_iplayer --get --modes=best --pid=xxxxxxxx  so for the SAME PID I assume it's the same  content being downloaded.

My downloaded content gets stored on to an SSD so slow Hard Disk access is also unlikely to be a problem

I really appreciate the work you put in on this great program -- I was just posting my observations which I have repeated several times so I don't think it's anything to do with the ISP Internet variation.

I know Internet speed is more than adequate -- I can stream full 1080p via VLC or PLEX without any problem - even if transcoding is occasionally needed.

I know recent W10 updates caused all sorts of hassles with Internet too.

Is there anything in the command line to increase download speed such as larger transmit packets etc --

anyway thanks again for all the work you do on this program -- much appreciated by not only me but zillions of others.

Cheers

user-2

(17-12-2016, 10:18 AM)I think there's a confusion here between MegaBYTES / sec and MegaBiITS /sec - my figures should be multiplied by 8 for MegaBITS/sec.
get_iplayer can download much faster than 6 MB/s as well. But it's just a downloader. It can't get something faster than upstream will give it.
Quote:For TV I use command get_iplayer --get --modes=best --pid=xxxxxxxx  so for the SAME PID I assume it's the same  content being downloaded.
In this case, you're wrong in that assumption. Those release notes won't read themselves.

user-1202

Hi there
Thanks

All fixed now running nicely with great speeds !!

Bad case of "RTFM" I think I had.

Thanks again

Cheers

user-662

Hi, can I asked what you did to get this fixed? I updated to 2.97 and experienced the same problem. Did you just stick with 2.95 in the end?

user-991

I definitely noticed a slow down in download speeds when I upgraded to GIP v2.97 at about the middle of December 2016. I've had some personal things to prevent me from spending more time to investigate so I can't say whether it is all the time or just some of the time that it's slower than before. I'd also be interested in what the solution was as mentioned previously.

user-30

If you read the release notes you'll see that the default download quality has changed.

user-991

Thank You Mr SquarePenguin lol & I'm sure that I can say on behalf of most people on here that we appreciate your time & effort you put into the help & advice that you give to us pilgrims that are not as experienced & knowledgeable as yourself & others like Pinky Dinky lol
Yes, I do know of the new 50fps version compared to the 25fps version download which obviously means a video file that is double in size which consequently means an increase in download time or a slower download speed. But I still thought that I had noticed a difference in the download speed even when using in the CLI at the end of the programme URL that I use, the extension --modes=flash, so that I get an HD download but at 25fps. Again, I could be wrong in thinking it is slower in downloading because I've not given enough time to monitor it closely.

These forums are archived

See this post for further info