These forums are archived

See this post for further info

get_iplayer forums

Forum archived. Posting disabled.

Search puzzlement

user-287

New to using get_iplayer I’m afraid. This is using the windows web interface.

I don’t understand why the 2nd search below works while the first doesn’t? This is a cut and paste from the run. I'm trying to generalise the search more so that I can save it and it will work regardless of series etc.

"_Clare_in_the_Community_name_radio_podcast
_Clare_in_the_Community_Series_5_name_radio_podcast
Matches:
10802: radio, Clare in the Community: Series 5 - 1. Name Calling, BBC Radio 4, Comedy,Radio,Sitcoms
10803: radio, Clare in the Community: Series 5 - 2. Too Cool for School, BBC Radio 4, Comedy,Radio,Sitcoms"

Thanks

Gareth

user-2

You've posted the names of the saved PVR searches, not the search terms contained therein. There is no way to answer your question unless you show the search terms you're using. Post the value of the
Code:
search0
field in each saved search.

user-2

A couple of other things: It looks like you're searching across radio and podcast listings. It's not necessary to search the podcast cache for that programme. Also, you appear to have put a leading space in the search strings, indicated by the leading underscore in the saved search names.

user-287

Thanks. The leading space is inserted in the search name by the app.

The Search0 strings for the same search are:

^Clare in the Community$
^Clare in the Community\: Series 5$

user-2

Not a leading space then - the underscore replaced the circumflex.

The reason ^Clare in the Community$ doesn't work is because it searches for a programme whose entire name is "Clare in the Community", which doesn't exist. All episodes of "Clare in the Community" have ": Series ..." in the name. The $ matches at the end of a string, ^ at the beginning. If you're new to regular expressions, Google for tutorials.

user-2

Also, searches use substring matching unless instructed otherwise. In your case, just use "Clare in the Community" as your search string. It's unlikely to get any false positives.

user-287

TVM, I hadn't realised they were 'regular' regular expressions.

user-2

It's Perl all the way down, so you can use pretty much any regular expressions in your search. It's pretty rare you'll need them though. As you've seen, one place they are used is when you click "Add Series". The Web PVR concocts a simple regular expression to ensure an exact match to the chosen series name in order to disambiguate it from another series of the same programme.

These forums are archived

See this post for further info