These forums are archived

See this post for further info

get_iplayer forums

Forum archived. Posting disabled.

Correct value for --channel to filter 6 Music programmes?

user-1088

Hi

To check the correct spelling of a radio channel I used <channel>. It returned 'BBC Radio 6 Music'

I then used it in --channel "BBC Radio 6 Music". It failed to download. I amended it to "BBC 6 Music" & it worked as expected.

Is this an error or am I missing something?

Cheers
DaveF.

user-2

Looks like get_iplayer needs to be tweaked to catch up with changes in BBC metadata. But you don't need the whole channel name for filtering. You only need the unique part, so "6 Music" will suffice.

user-1088

Thanks

Again the documentation I've read doesn't make that clear.

Is --channel used when '--get'ting?

Is there any documentation explaining what get_iplayer uses its index cache for? When searching for specific programs:

Code:
"get_iplayer" --get --type radio --channel "BBC 6 Music" --fields=name "Radcliffe"

Does it search the cache before looking online?

I'm aware
Code:
--refresh-include="BBC 6 Music"

filters the cache to just one channel's output, but If I'm only after a specific program & the 'download_history' file tests to see if it's already been transferred, it still seems a bit excessive. I'm sure I must be missing something?

Cheers
Dave F.

user-2

(27-11-2016, 05:47 PM)Is --channel used when '--get'ting?
Only when used in conjunction with a search string. If --get is used with the index number(s) from a programme, --channel is ignored.
Quote:Does it search the cache before looking online?
get_iplayer does not search online.
Quote:
Code:
--refresh-include="BBC 6 Music"
filters the cache to just one channel's output, but If I'm only after a specific program & the 'download_history' file tests to see if it's already been transferred, it still seems a bit excessive. I'm sure I must be missing something?
Presumably that's why the developer made it your choice. Some users only ever care about a few programmes from a few channels and don't want to bother caching data for any others. You don't ever have to cache any programme data if you really don't want to. Just use --pid to download the specific programme of interest. Put a humongous value for --expiry in your preferences to prevent the automatic cache refresh kicking in if you slip up.

These forums are archived

See this post for further info