These forums are archived

See this post for further info

get_iplayer forums

Forum archived. Posting disabled.

50fps SD programmes?

user-1465

I'm trying to download a Top of the Pops episode (shown on BBC4) and I'm after the 50fps version. However, no matter what tvmode I use, I always get a 25fps version with different resolutions. I know for a fact that there is a 50fps version (with resolution 704 x 396) as I'm using the "Iplayer WWW" addon on my Kodi box which picks up this stream by default.

Is there a mode that supports this resolution/framerate, or does get_iplayer not support it (I note it's not mentioned in the Wiki).

I'm using the Windows version of get-Iplayer, BTW, v 2.97

Thanks

user-493

It would be helpful if you gave us the name of the actual programme episode to identify it and the relevant PID.

Having said that I think you're wrong - it is unlikely that any 50fps versions exist for any programmes of that age.

Anyway, the recording modes for 50fps are hvfhd and hvfsd. If you interrogate the programme details on the command line, it will tell you what modes are available, for example:

get_iplayer --info --pid b0824dd3
will give output which will include the following:

modes: original: flashvhigh1,flashvhigh2,flashhigh1,flashhigh2,flashstd1,flashstd2,hlsvhigh1,hlshigh1,hlsstd1,hvfvhigh1,hvfvhigh2,hvfhigh1,hvfhigh2,hvfstd1,hvfstd2,hvflow1,hvflow2,subtitles1
modes: shortened: flashvhigh1,flashvhigh2,flashhigh1,flashhigh2,flashstd1,flashstd2,hlsvhigh1,hlshigh1,hlsstd1,hvfvhigh1,hvfvhigh2,hvfhigh1,hvfhigh2,hvfstd1,hvfstd2,hvflow1,hvflow2,subtitles1

You will see that both hvfhd and hvfsd are absent! If you repeat the process using the appropriate PID for the programme you wish to download then pound to a penny you'll get the same result.

So to get the best possible 50fps (if it is available), then you need to specify:
get_iplayer --tvmodes=hvfhd,hvfsd --pid xxxxxxxx (where xxxxxxxx is the programme PID)
and get_iplayer will try the HD mode first and if that isn't available it will then try SD. If those modes are unavailable then you'll get a message telling you which modes are available for that programme.

The various rates available to get_iplayer are in the Wiki in the section "Recording modes" where 50fps is explained.

Have fun

Alan

user-2

Where they exist, 704x396@50fps streams are ignored by get_iplayer. Use youtube-dl if you want to download one of them.

user-1465

Dinky, thanks for confirming it can't be done in get_iplayer.

Alan, thanks for the info

As Dinky suggested, I downloaded youtube-dl and a straight call of

Code:
youtube-dl http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0824dd3

downloaded the 704x396/50 version, without specifying any other parameters.

Thanks for the quick answer.

These forums are archived

See this post for further info