These forums are archived

See this post for further info

get_iplayer forums

Forum archived. Posting disabled.

Win pvr No listings at all?

user-353

Using Windows 7, Chrome browser and have WinPVR open.

Anything I type into the search box returns nothing? I know Silent Witness is there and nothing? Even if I type in news?

I have Hola vpn activated and can use BBCiPlayer in UK for live stuff.

Please help, before my wife gets bad ideas?????

Malky

user-2

The fact that you can use the iPlayer site is irrelevant. Are there any programmes listed when the Web PVR first launches? Did you refresh the cache and re-run the search? If you enter the default search string (
Code:
.*
) yourself, do you get any results? Did you select BBC TV as a Programme Type? Have you entered any other search criteria under Advanced Search that would affect the results? Have you saved any options with get_iplayer at the command line that would affect the results? Do you see any errors in the Web PVR server console window?

user-353

Hi thanks for the reply. I cleared cache, tried the default .*, nothing set in advanced and BBC TV is selected as Program Type.

I have not changed any setting after installing. Before clearing cache I got a load of rubbish stuff CBBTV and other junk), which is cleared, but I get nothing?

I tried using the command line to just list jump, then just list anything, both of which gave no results?

I am assuming it is PC related as I can get a list of Silent Witness on my wife's PC, but cannot download getting the no specified modes error although the same Hola vpn is active?

I have a friend who is trying to set up a separate vpn in UK, so will hopefully test that this week in case it's Hola?

Thanks,

Malky

user-2

Go to the get_iplayer console window on your machine and run the commands below:

Code:
get_iplayer --verbose --refresh > %USERPROFILE%\giplog1.txt 2>&1

get_iplayer --debug "Silent Witness" > %USERPROFILE%\giplog2.txt 2>&1

Take the log files from your home directory and post them as attachments. Be sure to scrub your username from the files before posting, if you wish. If you wish to post them somewhere else, that's fine - just include the URLs in your reply.

The "no specified modes" error means your VPN is faulty or blocked. We can't help you with either. Even so, you should normally be able to get search results, as on your wife's machine.

user-353

Sorry, just read this as I had to go to bed last night. I am at work but will try this when I get home and post back.

I did also install onto a Linux laptop and still couldn't get any results which makes me lean towards the VPN as being the problem?

I should find out today if my friend's VPN is working. One way or another I shall report back for the sake of others on the forum.

Thanks for now,

Malky

user-2

Same problem on different machine and OS would point to VPN as the culprit. Before you try the steps above, try to access the URL below in your browser over your VPN:

http://feeds.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/bbcone/list/limit/400

If that fails, the other tests are likely to fail as well.

user-353

Update!!!

As we suspected the VPN appears to have been the problem. The BBC downloads program even works again with this other one.

I still haven't installed get_iplayer on the computer connected to the TV (I can't get her off it)! I plan to install though at the weekend as I would like the versatility to download a series or so in one go, rather than select and add one at a time with BBC downloads.

I did try the commands above on the Linux laptop and get listings now without vpn???? I still can't download though, so I tried adding the new vpn to that but am getting connection errors for some reason? The install instructions on youtube used a different version, (I have Linux 15), so I've missed something, however, nothing to do with get_iplayer, so will persevere.

The BBC link supplied a listing in a browser on all computers before I started, just for information.

Will keep this post updated. Once again, many thanks!

Malky

user-2

Normally, you should still get listings without a VPN. While it's not inconceivable that listing feeds might be geo-blocked, I've never known it to happen.

user-353

OK, tried this on the linux laptop and now getting a directory of search criteria.

Use the get_iplayer command get_iplayer --get 930

Get the following:-

vicky@Vicky ~ $ get_iplayer --get 930
get_iplayer 2.85-ppa16, Copyright (C) 2008-2010 Phil Lewis
This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details use --warranty.
This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it under certain
conditions; use --conditions for details.

Matches:
930: Silent Witness: Series 17 - Fraternity: Part 1, BBC One, Audio
Described,Crime,Drama,Guidance,TV, default,audiodescribed

INFO: 1 Matching Programmes
INFO: Checking existence of default version
INFO:
flashvhigh1,flashvhigh2,flashhigh1,flashhigh2,flashstd1,flashstd2,flashlow1,flashlow2
modes will be tried for version default
INFO: Trying flashvhigh1 mode to record tv: Silent Witness: Series 17 -
Fraternity: Part 1
INFO: File name prefix =
Silent_Witness_Series_17_-_Fraternity_Part_1_b03t36gt_default
RTMPDump v2.4-n78-git3a1e20c-ppa8~raring
(c) 2010 Andrej Stepanchuk, Howard Chu, The Flvstreamer Team; license: GPL Connecting ...
ERROR: RTMP_Connect0, failed to connect socket. 110 (Connection timed out)
INFO: Command exit code 3 (raw code = 768)
WARNING: Failed to stream file
/home/vicky/Silent_Witness_Series_17_-_Fraternity_Part_1_b03t36gt_default.partial.mp4.flv
via RTMP
INFO: skipping flashvhigh1 mode
INFO: Trying flashvhigh2 mode to record tv: Silent Witness: Series 17 -
Fraternity: Part 1

This happens with every mode?

Does this help any?

Malky

EDIT - I notice that the directory attempted was /home/vicky/ the first time I tried this and the /vicky folder didn't exist, so I created it and tried again with the same results? ON this Linux 15 OS the directory is Home with a capital 'H'? Would this make any difference? I am new to Linux.

user-2

This is the problem:

ERROR: RTMP_Connect0, failed to connect socket. 110 (Connection timed out)

Apparently you have another dud VPN. VPNs don't necessary support traffic on port 1935 (used by rtmpdump), or they may throttle if they do. Or it could just be a temporary outage. Use the link below to check your VPN:

http://www.therealtimeweb.com/index.cfm/...ort-tester

user-353

Cheers, yes indeed I am getting a Fail on that port.

Strange how the BBC downloads program started working again though?

Still waiting on my friend trying to get his personal VPN set up, but last I heard 20 minutes ago was he screwed his own router IP! Such fun. Obviously he's never done this before either.

Many thanks and will keep this updated.

Malky

user-2

BBC download app works differently. Neither it nor the iPlayer site is a gauge for whether or not get_iplayer will work.

user-353

Hi again, just to let you know it was the VPN that was the problem.

My friend has his running now and everything is going fine. I've tested on XP, Win7 and Linux Mint 15 based machines.

One other question if I may, although it should maybe better posted as another thread? What happens if I use the PVR download for a few files and the VPN is cut off for some reason? Would the file downloads resume when the VPN is back up even if it is next day?

Once again, many thanks and this is just what I needed.

Malky

user-30

The general idea would be for it to pick up where it left off, but that doesn't always happen. Most times you'd probably be left with the *.partial.flv file from the interrupted download which would need manually deleting before you'd need to kick of the download again.

In some cases, get_iplayer can leave you with the partial download AND record in it's download history that the programme has been successfully downloaded. In that case even after you've deleted the partial file you won't get it to download again without using the
Code:
--force
option as explained here.

Now, it's my policy here that we don't condone the use of a VPN with get_iplayer to download content from outside of the UK, and such discussions I usually bring to a sharp halt. You've skirted the thin line between questions that needed answering and use of a VPN, but let's not continue down the VPN route with further questions about its use please, or I will close the thread.

You are, of course, forgiven for not knowing the info in the paragraph above as I haven't taken the time to write the forum rules yet so that is not meant as some great chastisement.

user-353

Sorry, yes, I wasn't aware of this and considering the 'sh*t' that's going on with internet content, I acknowledge what you are saying.

Guys like you need preserving and once again, your work is greatly appreciated. Love it.

Once again many thanks for your great work.

You've made one woman (and one man) very happy :) Although I think pleasing one woman is an achievement nowadays :)

Malky

These forums are archived

See this post for further info