These forums are archived

See this post for further info

get_iplayer forums

Forum archived. Posting disabled.

Web PVR search only finds some episodes?

user-1429

Hi,

I'm an occasional user of get_iplayer, but while setting up a new laptop I discovered the Web PVR for the first time.  Great piece of work, but having a small glitch. 

I exclusively use for downloading BBC Radio programs, and normally look up a programme on iPlayer Radio and then use the PID from the URL in a get_player command.  I wanted to download PID b018g3n8 (1st episode of Afternoon Drama : Charles Dickens from R4Extra). I tried searching with ticks in the correct boxes for pid, BBC Radio and filtered on channel Radio 4 Extra but got no results.  

When I tried same search on the command line as < get_iplayer --type=radio --pid=b018g3n8 >, I got the following output:

Code:
INFO: Episode-only pid detected
INFO: Trying pid: b018g3n8 using type: radio
INFO: Trying to stream pid using type radio
INFO: pid not found in radio cache
Matches:

INFO: 1 Matching Programmes
INFO: Checking existence of original version
INFO: dashhigh1,dashhigh2,hafhigh1,hafhigh2,dashstd1,dashstd2,hafstd1,hafstd2,hlsaacstd1,dashmed1,dashmed2,hafmed1,hafmed2,dashlow1,dashlow2,haflow1,haflow2,hlsaaclow1 modes will be tried for version original
INFO: Trying dashhigh1 mode to record radio: Afternoon Drama: Charles Dickens - A Tale of Two Cities - 1. Recalled to Life
INFO: File name prefix = Afternoon_Drama_Charles_Dickens_-_A_Tale_of_Two_Cities_-_1._Recalled_to_Life_b018g3n8_original
... and then it proceeded to download the programme.

Q1 Any reason why the PID search worked at command line but not in Web PVR?
Q2) What is get_iplayer doing when it says "checking existence of original version" after it says "pid not found in radio cache"

As an aside, I use the <look up pid on iPlayer> method because many programmes I can find there don't show up on get_iplayer list - e.g. there are 18 available episodes on "Afternoon Drama" from BBC Radio on iPlayer but only 5 episodes show up on get_iplayer.
Q3) Any idea why the discrepancy?

Simon
Win 10, get_iplayer 2.97.0 + web PVR

user-2

If you feed get_iplayer a PID via --pid, it can still work even if the PID is not found in the cache. The clue is the "INFO: pid not found in radio cache" message seen in the output from your successful download. The equivalent in the Web PVR is the Quick URL field. As to why you couldn't find that particular episode with a search, you probably haven't been updating your cache for long enough. See the Searching section of the FAQ list.

user-1429

Thanks for reply. I got a bit lost among the FAQs & Guides but I'll go back & have another read through.
S.

These forums are archived

See this post for further info