Can't download using URL
#1
I have been using get_iplayer on Windows 10 64-bit for a few weeks now and everything has been working fine when I used the direct URL copied from the iplayer website and put it into get_iplayer.

Last few days I can't download and I always get the same warning at the end about being outside the UK when i'm inside the UK.

I can go straight to a browser and go to iplayer and watch anything fine. Also my IP is still within the UK.

An example of one programme is Cbeebies The Let's Go Club.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/cbeebies/ep...r-everyone

Past episodes have downloaded previously without issue but now they or new ones won't.

Command i'm using is 

get_iplayer Output:

get_iplayer "http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/cbeebies/episode/b07tygtj/the-lets-go-club-series-2-6-a-bit-of-everything-for-everyone"

I've attached the log for viewing the output.

Thanks for any assistance.


Attached Files
.txt   log.txt (Size: 3.23 KB / Downloads: 173)
#2
Thanks for the log. It doesn't matter if you can play programmes on the iPlayer site. As you can see in the log, download of programme metadata failed. get_iplayer can't tell if that's because you're outside the UK - the "may" is significant in the error message - or because of some problem upstream (server error, etc.). I can't shed any light on what that problem might be - your example works fine here. If you're using a VPN, it might be blocked regardless of where you are. You can test the principal metadata URL (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07tygtj.xml) separately to see if you get any useful error message. If you know how to use curl or a similar tool, that would be better for testing than your browser.
#3
Thanks.

I've installed curl and will read up on it to do some testing. Also I don't use any VPN.
#4
Although it's a reach, another avenue to explore is whether or not an anti-virus or firewall  is interfering, e.g., by preventing perl.exe from making network connections. Your log shows that you can't download anything with get_iplayer, so if all your logs look the same the root cause may be more than just intermittent connectivity problems or server errors.
#5
Absolutely spot on!

Comodo Firewall had enabled a HIPS module which was basically stopping get_iplayer from initialising the .pl script.

It must have enabled on the last Comodo update as I normally only have the firewall running and get_iplayer has worked before. I have tried allowing access to the .pl and it now works.

Thanks Dinky!