PVR Error Message: "Malformed UTF-8 character (fatal)"
#1
Hi All

Until about a week ago, Get iPlayer was working fine. Then, a few days ago, I noticed that nothing new was appearing in my downloads folder (suggesting that the PVR wasn’t running – or wasn’t running successfully). I left it over the weekend and, still, today, nothing new in my downloads folder. This morning, I ran the PVR manually:
 
get_iplayer –pvr
 
and received the following error message:
 
Malformed UTF-8 character (fatal) at C:\Program Files (x86)\get_iplayer\get_iplayer.pl line 11962.

I can still download individual programmes (by PID, etc.)

I was on version 2.94 but, today, updated to version 2.96.1.
 
Any thoughts/suggestions, please?
#2
It would seem you have some junk in one or more of your pvr jobs. Run get_iplayer --pvr-list and look for  characters that aren't properly encoded (they should appear in the form &#xNN; ), then fix or re-create the corresponding pvr jobs.
#3
Hi dinky

Thanks for the suggestion but, when I run:

get_iplayer --pvr-list

... all I get is the same error message:

Malformed UTF-8 character (fatal) at C:\Program Files (x86)\get_iplayer\get_iplayer.pl line 11962
#4
In that case, you will need to examine each pvr job to find the broken one(s). The files should be in C:\Users\<username>\.get_iplayer\pvr. Use more or type to print each file. The junk should appear as non-alphanumeric characters.
#5
Hi dinky

Found it (thanks to your help)! Normal service has been resumed.

Thanks again!


Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Windows 8.1 V3.01 and now V3.04- Malformed UTF-8 character jonse 2 2,145 08-10-2017, 11:50 PM
Last Post: jonse
  "You may get this message if you are using iPlayer outside the UK Dantoshou 1 2,269 14-05-2016, 10:20 AM
Last Post: SquarePenguin
  Error message failed download gperr 1 2,188 17-07-2013, 01:47 PM
Last Post: SquarePenguin