These forums are archived

See this post for further info

get_iplayer forums

Forum archived. Posting disabled.

New member, different things

user-1384

Until a few days ago, IDM was my iPlayer downloader of choice. Then it suddenly stopped working, presumably due to the latest iPlayer update. So I went looking for an alternative and I discovered get_iplayer. I just tried it for the first time and it works very well. I am grateful to have found this software and I would like to express my thanks to those who have taken the time and trouble to create it. This kind of thing does not always receive the appreciation it deserves.

I have two additional comments. First, I do not understand at all the complaints of those who say this software is difficult to use. I am no expert but a quick glance at the extremely clear and well-written guide was all I needed to immediately download what I wanted. It worked beautifully, simple, smooth, no problems at all. How anyone could not understand how to do this completely mystifies me. Even if you have never used a command line interface before, it is not difficult to work out. 

My second comment is not a criticism, just an observation, and that is that the download was considerably slower than what I have been used to with IDM. Is the content being streamed? It seems very similar to VLC in that regard. 

To anyone who still has trouble understanding how this works, just use a browser on the site to get the PID of the item you want, open a  command line interface and type get_iplayer --pid=whatever. It's not rocket science. 

Thanks again to the developers of this.

user-2

(27-08-2016, 08:09 AM)My second comment is not a criticism, just an observation, and that is that the download was considerably slower than what I have been used to with IDM. Is the content being streamed? It seems very similar to VLC in that regard. 
You're comparing apples and oranges. get_iplayer is a single-threaded Perl script that also re-muxes and tags your download by default. IDM is multi-threaded native code that only downloads by default. Everything else being equal, it is obvious which one will be faster. If speed is paramount, stick to IDM.

These forums are archived

See this post for further info