These forums are archived

See this post for further info

get_iplayer forums

Forum archived. Posting disabled.

Novice in difficulty over installing get iplayer

user-547

I'm using a laptop running 64 bit Windows 10 with 8Gb Memory
I used to have get_iplayer on my last computer running Win 7 and even then I found the installation process a little daunting
I've tried installing the latest version on my new laptiop and find the process even more complex
I understand zip files and I installed 7zip in order to expand them but that's as far as I can comprehend.
Ideally a setup or install file would make sense.. None of the files offered are recognized by windows on my computer
The help files are equally as daunting
Could someone please guide me through the process step by step in a language that I understand.
or guide me to a web page that does just that
Many thanks

user-2

If you are using a zip file, you are not installing get_iplayer correctly. Look at the Windows page in Downloads section.

user-547

Sorry, my post went live before I was finished. I've now edited/updated it

By the way the "quote" button on last post is not responding

user-2

The Quote button only copies the post to quote. You'll see a red hyphen overlaid on button icon. You have to click the "Quote these posts now" link under the Quick Reply box to insert it:
(19-08-2016, 10:58 AM)By the way the "quote" button on last post is not responding

user-547

Hello Dinky
My concern about the quote button wasn't so important
You replied to my original post when it was incomplete
Somehow it went live only half finished
I since edited it in order to complete it
My problem wasn't so much about zip files
My problem as a novice is to understand the whole process step by step in an easy to understand and as less technical jargon as possible
Could you please read my completed original post again
Many thanks

user-2

I didn't need to read the rest of your post to know what you were doing wrong. That's why I gave you the solution in my initial response.

user-730

Julia

Start by clicking "Downloads" on the claret coloured bar at the top of this page.  Then follow the instructions.  I don't have a computer with Windows installed, so you'll be flying solo from that point (unless a knight in shining ...)

user-1321

(19-08-2016, 10:46 AM)...
Could someone please guide me through the process step by step in a language that I understand.
or guide me to a web page that does just that
Many thanks

The guidelines for a Windows install are here:
https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplayer/wiki/windows

The direct download link to the recently released v2.96 executable file is
https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplay...ses/latest

Download the get_iplayer-2.96.0.exe to a location where you'll find it again (usually in Windows ends up in the 'Downloads' folder) and run the file to install get_iplayer.

Hope this will get you started

-S

These forums are archived

See this post for further info