These forums are archived

See this post for further info

get_iplayer forums

Forum archived. Posting disabled.

Where do I find the Get_iplayer?

user-5

I'm new to Linux, and very pleased with the instructions for installing the Get_iplayer.
Everything seemed to work okay, but how can I open it?

user-30

Have you also had a look at the usage guides? They tell you how to download programmes and set the PVR etc as well as giving you dozens of example commands to copy and paste to get you started.

These guides will effectively show you how to 'open' get_iplayer as you put it, though as get_iplayer is a Command Line application it would be more accurate to say the guide will show you how to 'run' get_iplayer.

get_iplayer beginners guides

user-7

Open a terminal and enter

Code:
get_iplayer

To fetch a tv program, just an EG

Code:
get_iplayer --get 123

user-5

Thank you,
I remember I used get_iplayer to download:
Wallander_The_Fifth_Woman_Episode_1_b01m2fkb_1372351427_mobile.wmv
on july 2nd, I followed directions from another site,
that gave step-by-step instructions.
And it worked, but when I want to play the file, it wants to open in Windows Media Player,
which I don't have, to get the rights. Or something.

user-13

A wmv file!
That sounds more like iPlayer rather than get_iplayer although I only grab the mp4s (flashhd or flashvhigh) myself. I'm not very mobile so never mess with any other types (lower resolutions). I don't even own a mobile phone.
What was the site with the step by step instructions?

user-5

851 Wrote:A wmv file!<br>
That sounds more like iPlayer rather than get_iplayer although I only grab the mp4s (flashhd or flashvhigh) myself. I’m not very mobile so never mess with any other types (lower resolutions). I don’t even own a mobile phone.<br>
What was the site with the step by step instructions?

I'm aware of the existence of mobile phones, but don't own or ever used one. :)

It definitely was Get_iplayer.
Luckily, I bookmarked the page:
http://www.latentexistence.me.uk/how-to-...for-linux/

Only the last part didn't work:
'After the download has finished the .flv file will be automatically converted to a .mp4 file.',
and I can't open it.

user-13

Is it a mp4 or a wmv?
I had a look at that link. The piece is dated Dec. 2012.
Now it's true with a lot of software that if you go looking for a tutorial you preferably want to find the latest and g_iP is a perfect example of this.
Let me add here if you're new to g_iP, and I notice you're new to GNU/Linux, then what I said about looking for the latest tutorials might be news to you which is fair enough. I wasn't saying you should of known that.
Are you aware of the mailing list? It's _the_ way to ask for help with g_iP. At least it was before this website was started. Another bit of advice - when looking for help with any software try to find the 'offical' (for want of a better word) website. The mailing list is a friendly place. I say that in light of recent news about the Linux kernel mailing list! If you do use the mailing list you need to use text email, rather than html email, to make a post.
If I have a bit of time later I will take a better look at that link and see if I can work out how you got a wmv file.

user-2

Let's back up a bit: Did you install get_iplayer according to the Linux install guide on this site? If not, do so now. If you installed according to the instructions from the link you posted, you most likely have an obsolete and broken version of get_iplayer.

I can't see how you could get a .wmv file by following the instructions you referenced. But that's irrelevant - those .wmv files are DRM-protected and are of no use on Linux. In your later post you say you got a .flv file. There is no way to know if was even supposed to be converted to MP4 - it depends on the programme you downloaded. Post the exact command you ran so we can figure out what you're trying to do.

user-5

881 Wrote:Is it a mp4 or a wmv?<br>
I had a look at that link. The piece is dated Dec. 2012.<br>
Now it’s true with a lot of software that if you go looking for a tutorial you preferably want to find the latest and g_iP is a perfect example of this.<br>
Let me add here if you’re new to g_iP, and I notice you’re new to GNU/Linux, then what I said about looking for the latest tutorials might be news to you which is fair enough. I wasn’t saying you should of known that.<br>
Are you aware of the mailing list? It’s _the_ way to ask for help with g_iP. At least it was before this website was started. Another bit of advice – when looking for help with any software try to find the ‘offical’ (for want of a better word) website. The mailing list is a friendly place. I say that in light of recent news about the Linux kernel mailing list! If you do use the mailing list you need to use text email, rather than html email, to make a post.<br>
If I have a bit of time later I will take a better look at that link and see if I can work out how you got a wmv file.

Thanks.
This is what I have in my download-folder: Wallander_The_Fifth_Woman_Episode_1_b01m2fkb_1372351427_mobile.wmv
So, it's clearly a .wmv-file.
I simply followed the instructions, and it worked, except for the 'convert to mp4'step.

user-5

884 Wrote:Let’s back up a bit: Did you install get_iplayer according to the Linux install guide on this site? If not, do so now. If you installed according to the instructions from the link you posted, you most likely have an obsolete and broken version of get_iplayer.

I can’t see how you could get a .wmv file by following the instructions you referenced. But that’s irrelevant – those .wmv files are DRM-protected and are of no use on Linux. In your later post you say you got a .flv file. There is no way to know if was even supposed to be converted to MP4 – it depends on the programme you downloaded. Post the exact command you ran so we can figure out what you’re trying to do.

Thanks.

I installed from this site.
The .flv file is a quote from the site of which I gave the link.
I copied & pasted the commands from that site. :)

user-2

889 Wrote:Thanks.
I installed from this site.

The .flv file is a quote from the site of which I gave the link.

I don't see how that would work. The instructions refer to Newsnight and The Daily Politics, but you say you've downloaded an episode of Wallander. And none of those commands would produce a .wmv file. And what do you mean by "is a quote from"? Did you get a .flv file or not?

I think it's time to do a reset. Try a fresh download of any programme and if produces another .wmv file, post the exact command you used.

user-5

890 Wrote:
Quote:<div class="d4p-bbt-quote-title">Quote:</div>
Thanks.<br>
I installed from this site.<br>
The .flv file is a quote from the site of which I gave the link.<br>
I don’t see how that would work. The instructions refer to Newsnight and The Daily Politics, but you say you’ve downloaded an episode of Wallander. And none of those commands would produce a .wmv file. And what do you mean by “is a quote from”? Did you get a .flv file or not?

I think it’s time to do a reset. Try a fresh download of any programme and if produces another .wmv file, post the exact command you used.

My bad, sorry.
I copied & pasted, but filled in another number.
Should have said so. :(

While you posted, I did do a fresh download, again with the instructSo ions from that site.
Last Sunday's Top Gear, in fact.
That worked, even the conversion.
I can play that file.
I couldn't find the same Wallander program, though, so I'm downloading the only one I could find now,
and see what happens.

I did not get a .flv file, but a .wmv file, I don't know, it's just what happened.
This was a few weeks ago, and since it didn't work, I abandoned the whole project.
But I kept the Wallander file, and when I came across it this weekend, I started googling again to see if I could get the Iplayer I had in Windows, but then for Linux.
That's how I ended up here, only hoping to get a sort of 'stand-alone' player.
Which it isn't.
But if I can play and keep the converted files, I'm happy anyway.
I'm mostly interested in the Royal Institution Christmas Lectures, which I taped on video for years,
until it went to Channel4 or so. We can't see that in the Netherlands.
I was lucky to be able to download it again when it came back to the BBC, last Christmas.

user-5

A little light went on!

When I say I downloaded the lectures, in fact somebody else, who could also convert them using Aimersoft Studio Ultimate, did that for me. The Aimersoft was the only converter that could deal with the DRM.
I checked my e-mails, and found a redundant link to the original files:
h**p://electradl.iplayer.bbc.co.uk/windowsmedia/prod/hi/Royal_Institution_Christmas_Lectures_2012_The_Mode_b01pjpgc_1356204622.wmv
Also .wmv, as you see.
Maybe it's got to do with the date, 2012?
Maybe something changed in 2013?

user-2

I'm struggling to understand what question you are asking. To recap, we know that: 1) you have a DRM-protected WMV file of a Wallander episode that you got from somewhere that you can't play; 2) someone gave you some files converted with Aimersoft, presumably to strip DRM; 3) you have a link to a non-existent DRM-protected WMV file for one of the Royal Institution Christmas Lectures; 4) you are accessing BBC content from outside the UK; 5) you have successfully installed get_iplayer on Ubuntu and successfully downloaded at least one Top Gear episode.

Items 1-4 pertain to things that are out of scope for these forums. We can't offer help with DRM-protected formats that get_iplayer no longer uses, much less formats that aren't supported on your platform of choice. We don't offer support for unrelated applications like Aimersoft or any method of DRM stripping. We also don't offer support for any mechanism required to use get_iplayer outside the UK. Item 5 tells me that you can use get_iplayer itself without any difficulties. So, if you have a question pertaining to get_iplayer, now is your chance to ask it. Otherwise, I'll close this topic.

user-5

Okay,

many thanks. :)

These forums are archived

See this post for further info