get_iplayer forums

Full Version: listen and ports options not working in 3.22
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,

I've recently upgraded from 3.20 to 3.22 on Ubuntu. Went through the usual steps of swapping out get_iplayer and get_iplayer.cgi as I have done periodically when things break - I noticed that my cache hadn't updated in days, which prompted the upgrade.

The problem is that it (the cgi/web) won't start. I eventually tracked it down to the fact that the --listen and --port options have been removed and there is no way to pass these variables in to my (server) start script. The error from the cgi:

Unknown option: listen
Unknown option: port

I've also tried the -l and -p options (and the -g), but the -p fails at line 1834 as it thinks it is a proxy port.

I've searched around and tried a number of things, but can't get it to start. I can't even get it to start with no parameters i.e. just running a local ./get_iplayer.cgi

I'm running bionic LTS and my kernel is 4.15.0-58-generic

Hope someone can help...
I've since pulled down get_iplayer.cgi v3.21 and running it with get_iplayer v3.22 in the meantime, which appears to be working.

Points to a bug in v3.22 of get_iplayer.cgi
I can't reproduce your problem.

If you use the get_iplayer repository on launchpad (see https://launchpad.net/~jon-hedgerows/+ar...et-iplayer) then it comes with get_iplayer_web_pvr which runs the (unsupported) cgi interface on the address and port specified in /etc/default/get_iplayer_web_pvr.  It's been that way since I borrowed the packaging from debian back at version 2.something.

And I can't make the get_iplayer.cgi break in the way you describe either.

Some exact command lines and the full actual output would help.

Jon

PS. incidentally, by way of example, I get this:
Code:
$ /usr/share/get_iplayer/get_iplayer.cgi --port 8080 --listen 0.0.0.0
INFO: Listening on 0.0.0.0:8080
WARNING: Insecure Remote access is allowed, use --listen=127.0.0.1 to limit to this host only
This means you're not invoking the web pvr:
(01-09-2019, 11:28 AM)europa Wrote: [ -> ]Unknown option: listen
Unknown option: port
This means you're invoking get_iplayer CLI instead with invalid options:
(01-09-2019, 11:28 AM)europa Wrote: [ -> ]I've also tried the -l and -p options (and the  -g), but the -p fails at line 1834 as it thinks it is a proxy port.
Your problem is between you and your scripts. As @jonhedgerows has already said, get_iplayer is working fine on Ubuntu. No options have been removed - be sure of your facts before you make such assertions. If you can't get the PPA release to work, start another thread and follow our instructions to provide a proper report so we can see what is happening on your system. This thread is closed.